Failed bios flashing, dang ASUS! What other mobo you guys recommend? Not Asus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mechtech3000

In Runtime
Well I tried using the BIOS update utility for windows on my ASUS P5K Deluxe Motherboard and it
failed.
ASUSTeK Computer Inc.-Forum-

Now on reboot it just turns on for 5 secs, then turns off and does that over and over and over with no video post or anything. After reading a huge thread on Asus's website apparently I'm not alone and the way to flash was to use the EZ FLASH method or dos boot disk method. Anyways that is water under the bridge and I'm going to send it back RMA to Asus to get it fixed.

In the meantime I have decided that I'm going to stray away from ASUS after being so angered by what happened. ( Why do they have a utility to update the bios for windows that only works part of the time?) Anyways I'm done with ASUS and need a new mobo recommendation. I'm thinking MSI but am open to other choices as well. Look at my profile for my hardware.

Thanks!

Heh, ya, thats the ds3l i suggested. Gigabyte also makes a ds3 board that supports crossfire if you are into that sort of thing.

Hrm.. I don't see problems with Asus that should suggest you don't use them in future. The gigabyte would be a good alternative for a P35 board, or as veedubfreak suggested, the eVGA 680i. If you have cash/time/botheredness, you could wait on an X38 board.

I don't mean to be rude, but in future, you should make sure you know what you are doing before attempting something as drastic as a BIOS reflash. READ UP in advance, a cursory google search would have warned you off using the Asus BIOS update programme. I certainly would think twice about trusting any programme (Asus or otherwise) that plays with the BIOS from within an OS. Agreed, they shouldn't have such critical programme that doesn't work, but hey...

Well I tried using the BIOS update utility for windows on my ASUS P5K Deluxe Motherboard and it
failed.
ASUSTeK Computer Inc.-Forum-

Now on reboot it just turns on for 5 secs, then turns off and does that over and over and over with no video post or anything. After reading a huge thread on Asus's website apparently I'm not alone and the way to flash was to use the EZ FLASH method or dos boot disk method. Anyways that is water under the bridge and I'm going to send it back RMA to Asus to get it fixed.

In the meantime I have decided that I'm going to stray away from ASUS after being so angered by what happened. ( Why do they have a utility to update the bios for windows that only works part of the time?) Anyways I'm done with ASUS and need a new mobo recommendation. I'm thinking MSI but am open to other choices as well. Look at my profile for my hardware.

Thanks!

Try reseting the CMOS? That may work, im not 100% sure as I have never had to reset the CMOS.

failed.

Wait, so you tried to update the BIOS while in Windows? I wouldn't dare do that, even if the company supplies you a utility. I'd only do it through a boot disk, which is the most secure method...

Asus makes good boards, I wouldn't put them down, the P5K Deluxe is great, and the ones that veedub suggested are good too

XD i've never flashed bios but i've read multiple times and have a good page bookmarked for when I do later this week. I'm gonna be using the P5K Deluxe as well. Let you know how it goes ^^

Oh the warning "Never ever reflash BIOS while in windows" is posted all over the site. lol

Id vote for the GB DS3R after the asus if you're going to dump a brand because of user error.

Could you post a link to that web site Akubane ...as it could save alot of people some trouble.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom