Installation of Win. XP Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
You wouldn't necessarily need to zero fill the drive to clean it off. There are a few free programs like Eraser that take care of anything on the drive while deletion of the current partition(s) with a drive tool like GParted usually is all that is needed other then a simple reformat.

The XP installer itself can delete existing primary partitions in order to create a new one for XP to install onto. GParted or some other retail program like Partition Magic can easily do that as well.

The preference here is for GParted while I usually advise that for more advanced users who are already familiar with partitioning and formatting drives. The one thing preferred about that besides being free is that it won't leave 1-8mb of drive space unallocated like the XP installer does often when going to create a single primary for the entire drive.

There are different types with only a few releases of the live for cd being platform independent and able to work with MS type partitions as well as Linux. The latest and seemingly last platform independent release is the 0.3.3.0 version found at SourceForge.net: Files

For full step by step instructions on using the Linux tool read over the documentation seen with screen shots at GPARTED DOCUMENTATION - GENERALITIES

What two things are needed besides allowing the XP installer to format the primary partition you create with GParted? 1)cd or dvd burner 2) program that will burn the 35mb iso disk image you download onto a cd-r not cd-rw blank disk. DeepBurner is one freeware used by many while the free version of BurnOn has done a great job on a number of disks. BurnOn CD & DVD - Free DVD Burning Software - Freeware CD burner Windows XP & Vista

so do should i connect the 160GB as master and then use the GParted to do what? Make 2 partitions or..delete all of them ? or what

i just noticed something...when i put the 40GB as master and 160GB as slave the bios sees them both...but when i put the 160GB as master and the 40GB as slave, bios doesnt see any of them

You didn't download the 0.3.3.0 release but the 0.3.4.? there. The newer releases that come after the 0.3.3.0 are not even platform independent which is what is needed there. Plus the newer live versions see the new start x automatic graphics configuration tool for Linux not MS use there.

With the 0.3.3.0 release you see several prompts where you simply press the return/enter key at each one to see the main gui load. Don't wonder off or you will have to reboot all over again. The 24bit default not 32bit is another thing to leave unchanged since that's Linux not Windows there.

The 1024x768 default resolution will allow you to see all of the tabs and buttons while 1280x1024 option pushes to much off of the screen unless you are using a larger 20" to 24" lcd there.

The jumper settings have to be changed when reversing the cable position each drive is presently on. You set the 40gb as master with the 160gb as slave and reverse order without making the needed change there. You evidently forgot to set the 160gb as master 40gb as slave when doing that. That's probably half of your problem there.

ok i am downloading the 0.3.3-0 version should i just put the 160GB as master and then just not connect the other 40GB? i dont need it that much..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom