Help with gaming comp build for 2008

Status
Not open for further replies.

chrisx706

Beta member
I've done some research for my gaming computer. I need some suggestions or comments on what I've built so far.

1. Antec 900 case or thermaltake armor
2. intel quad q6600
-zalman or thermalright cpu cooler
3. evga Geforce 8800gt 512mb
4. Samsung dvd burner on Newegg.com for $31.99
5. WD Caviar 750gb
6. Gigabyte P35 LGA Mobo or Abit IP35 Pro LGA mobo. Might want to SLI in the near future. Any suggestions?
7. Seasonic S12 Energy plus 650w OR PC power and cooling silencer 750 quad
8. Crucial Ballistix 2GB DDR2 800 (PC2 6400)
8. Samsung 226BW 22" OR something cheaper that will work with this system

I'm pretty set on the gpu and cpu, but would and can change anything else on the list. All suggestions are welcome because I'm new to DIY build a gaming computer. Is anyone running a similar system? If so, what has worked and what has not worked? Thanks in advance.

Looks like a top quality build to me...appears as if you have excellent taste in hardware.

Personally, I'd steer clear of SLI. Also I would choose the IP35-Pro over the Gigabyte...really is an excellent motherboard.

Great Build. I would difinitely get the Samsung monitor. I used to have a Samsung but switched to the gateway I have on my sig. Both works perfect. No problems whatsoever and no dead pixels yet.

Why steer clear of SLI? Isnt it better then a single graphics card? I know this isnt a laptop hes building but when I get my new computer I plan on SLI in a laptop so if you could tell me why its bad Id be greatful, Thanks.

Why steer clear of SLI? Isnt it better then a single graphics card? I know this isnt a laptop hes building but when I get my new computer I plan on SLI in a laptop so if you could tell me why its bad Id be greatful, Thanks.

The price isn't worth the performance boost. It doesn't double performance like you would think, rather it raises it slightly... although it is sometimes worth it with high resolution monitors.

Thanks for the reply everyone. Has anyone personally tried the seasonic or pc power and cooling?

gurusan - How is the size to work with inside the antec 900? Did the psu work with you by being in the borrom?

I've read here and there about the prices dropping after 2007. Does anyone know exactly when I could be expecting to see price drops?

Yeah i was about to tell you that. Im about to rehaul my pc. And im going to wait till at least firt Qof08 or secondQ of 08. The reason is that Intel will be taking out their new 45mm processors by that time, and most likely the Q6600 will cost less, or maybe they will offer a 45mm quad core for the same cash. Or maybe for kicks the Phenom FX will be released and magically be superior to everything out there. J/king lol, I'm oming over to the darkside too. Is it warm in there guys?

Oh yeah one more thing I'm still debating if i should wait or not since the Phenom was suppose to be released in Sept, and I'm afraid Intel might pull the same crap.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom