Windows cannot start

Status
Not open for further replies.

j12

Daemon Poster
When i start up my computer i get an error message that says "windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:system32\drivers\isapnp.sys" The files on this computer are pretty much irreplaceable...

Windows sounds hosed.

If you made any recent changes that you think might contribute to this problem, you might want to use the Recovery Console to try and change it back.

You could do a repair installation. This will basically repair windows, but keep the rest of the computer the way it is. You *should* have no data loss, aside from operating system files. This is likely your best choice.

Your other option would be to use a Linux Live CD to boot into a temporary linux operating system and backup the files from there. Then simply reformat and reinstall.

Try doing a repair.

Insert and boot from your WindowsXP CD and repair (R).

Press ENTER when you see the message To setup Windows XP now and then press ENTER displayed on the Welcome to Setup screen.

Do not choose the option to press R to use the Recovery Console.

Press F8 to agree to the licence agreement.

Make sure that your current installation of Windows XP is selected in the box and then press R to repair Windows XP.... Im Pretty sure you know how to do that ?

When i start up my computer i get an error message that says "windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:system32\drivers\isapnp.sys" The files on this computer are pretty much irreplaceable...

Try to boot your PC into safe mode and try replacing the files and re-start your computer.If it is booted then all is ok or the best thing to do is to format your computer and reload windows.

As stated use the Recovery Console to try and replace the file. If that dont work then try a repair. If both of those dont work...then Windows is gone and has to be re-installed.

One more thing you can do
Restart the system in Safe Mode and follow the give steps
Start Run type sfc/scannow this will open the system file checker and it will ask for a xp cd just follow the instruction this will repair ur file.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom