Nerd-bracelets

Status
Not open for further replies.

Schecters

In Runtime
In my computer-systems 1 class, the book we're using continuously suggests to use a ground bracelet. Obviously it's a smart choice. But who here actually wears one when they mess around with their computer?

When I reminisce of my first build (almost two years ago), I become greatly surprised by the fact that nothing is severely damaged from esd. Haha. What do you all use to ground yourself when tinkering with your computer?

I remove the power cord from the psu and touch the metal prongs (some suggestion I read online), or do what you do. I am now slightly paranoid whenever I open up my case, which kind of sucks haha

^ aha

yah, I just avoid carpets like the plague, all the flooring in my house is wood anyway, and I don't like wearing socks in the house unless my toe-nails are overgrown, and make sure to touch the side of the case, braclet just seems like a gimmick that plays on peoples' fear. When I was a total noob, way back when, like the age of 12/13, I was touching hardware while the computer was running, unplugging molex connectors and hard drive cables, BIG no no, but nothing happened anyway

I just wouldn't worry about it, but practice some pretty habitual things in order to keep you hardware safe to some degree, I think electrical surges are of graver concern really. During thunder storms I unplug my comp, I don't even trust the surge protector.

I use one at work when I'm building cables/connectors/electrical hardware for medical devices - but computer stuff, no.

All the components within a computer are robust enough to not use a static bracelet - I wouldnt be worried.

I use one at work when I'm building cables/connectors/electrical hardware for medical devices - but computer stuff, no.

All the components within a computer are robust enough to not use a static bracelet - I wouldnt be worried.

yeah, computer stuff is generally much more rugged than one would think. I had my TNT2 stored away in a drawer and it rattled around in there all the time, I dropped it several times too and it has plenty of little knicks here and there from getting hit with screw drivers and such. After about 8 years, it still works like a charm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom