Great single core> Average dual core?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeller

In Runtime
I see people reviewing single core CPUs on TigerDirect.com saying "Easily surpasses my X2" and stuff like that. Is there anything a dual-core CPU can do that a single-core will never be able to do?

Thanks.

Some of the first dual cores that came out like the original AMD x2's for 939 could be beat by single cores in some categories other than multi tasking, but now dual core is pretty much the standard, Single core CPU's are done man.

Multi-task and run multi-threading applications and games.

I just Google'd multi-threading, and it gave me a definition that I could have guessed--something like "When a program has multiple threads".

Which programs would you normally find that in? Is it basically to make the program run faster, sort of like how a graphics card takes care of graphics in games and such so your CPU be more efficient, just on a smaller scale?

Thanks.

Some of the first dual cores that came out like the original AMD x2's for 939 could be beat by single cores in some categories other than multi tasking, but now dual core is pretty much the standard, Single core CPU's are done man.

Hm. Okay, thanks.

I'm afraid I don't know the specefics of it, but recent and upcomming games can run part of the game on one core, while other parts of the game run on other cores.

A 2.0 ghz dual core processor would normally be limited to 2.0 ghz for any one program, since many older programs weren't designed with multiple cores in mind. Now days many programs run with multiple threads, so that they can be split up across different cores.

As an example, let's say we have a complex first person shooter running on a quad core processor.
One core could be processing all the artificial intelligence for your enimes. So they know when and where to move, shoot, etc.
Another core could be processing the environment your in. Trees, water, whatever could be running on this second core.
On the third core everything you do is being processed. Your movements, your shooting, your jumping, etc.
... and the last core, although more of an example of multi-tasking rather than multi-threading, could be running Windows, your anti-virus, services, etc.

Multi-Core CPU's will be the way to go, if they aren't already.

At the same time you can't pretend that the difference is gigantic between a regular dual core processor and a high end single core processor. Stuff like high end dual cores and quad cores is where it really makes a difference.

If you're going to buy something new though and you can afford it, get a dual core processor.

Whats better though a quad core or a dual core? And is the over all speed split between the processor so a each core in a quad core would be 1/4th of the over all speed?

Whats better though a quad core or a dual core? And is the over all speed split between the processor so a each core in a quad core would be 1/4th of the over all speed?

No I don't believe so. They all run at the same speed (the one shown) and the workload is split between them. Thats why a 2.0GHz dual core is better than a 3.0ghz single core. I don't know much about cores but I would say that a dual core at 2ghz essentially works at the same speed as a single core working at 4ghz. I mean I'm sure its more complicated than that but as a basic guide that seems to work.

So obviously quad core is best but I would still go with dual core as they're more cost effective.

Im deffinitly going with a Quad core if every core is the advertised speed, Thats just sweet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom