No POST

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snake91839

In Runtime
I know a lot of people ask about why they aren't getting POST but I'm truly stumped and have never come across a problem like this before.

I'm fixing a V2 Premier computer for a customer; the customer said that the computer would turn on, but there was just a black screen. When I originally tested it out I thought it to be a video problem, but then after testing 3 working video cards on the machine, there was still no video.

I have done absolutely everything, but the computer will not enter POST. If it is any help, the hard drive LED is lit up the whole time it's on. But, POST takes place before hard drive referencing, so I'm not sure what it is.

If anyone has an idea or has come across this before, your help is welcome :)

Thanks for any help

~snake~

BIOS need flashing, have you asked your customer if he sc**w*d the BIOS, by flashing it and failed in half way process?

in worst case scenario, the BIOS chip will be required new.

The customer didn't do anything to the BIOS. That's what he told me at least. However, I put the HD in my computer to see what the deal was, and it was loaded with trojans that AVG brought to my attention.

If it needs to be flashed, how to I flash it if I never get past post?

And are you saying replace the BIOS chip? Because if you are, how the **** do you do that?

:)

Thanks

~snake~

hmm, if the H/D is filled with viruses. then I am pretty sure, they killed the BIOS. replacing BIOS chip isnt that easy, as availability matters, when you open the motherboard, you'll see the BIOS chip yourself, as replacing it isnt a problem, pull it out and push new one in. BUT, it will be like blank book, so you have to do the Floppy Drive Method to flash it with new data.

at this point, I can only suggest one method (not guaranteed) as there could be 2 possibilities

1: BIOS chip is dead.
2: BIOS data is completely erased.

case 1 is fairly understood, case 2 = use the floppy drive BIOS flash method, it may work. see the motherboard manual, and go to their website and download the BIOS on floppy.

before doing that, as well confirm BIOS is faulty, by hearing the beeps (the beep codes will be in the manual).

IF, in any unfortunate case, the system is OEM. then OEM's don't give that much of Support other than sending them and getting the system repaired. (AKA you are at their control), if the system is old enough, then OEM wont help as well, you will be left with only 1 solution. send this back to customer with a spade to dig the grave (so ask him if you are invited on the funeral of the PC)

I'm not sure what the specs are on this build but do you have a Bios clear jumper so you can reset the Bios or at least take out the battery for a few. Even though that may not work and if your not getting any post beep codes maybe you have either a bad mobo or CPU. Have you tried taking the ram out and booting to see if you can get it to beep.

Before jumping into conclusions and replacing the BIOS chip, check the basics first. Have you tried taking the RAM out of the machine and powering it on? If the motherboard is still alive and well, it will make beep indicating "no memory". If you remove the RAM, and you still get a black screen, than the board is dead.

I've not only removed the ram, but put in compatible working ram that I had laying around. There are no beep codes because the computer will not start to boot. I'm really leaning towards bad mobo. And with the RAM out, it will not beep.

Since replacing the BIOS chip is a liability for me as a technician, I would rather give the computer back and tell them who will fix it (once I find someone).

I think however, that a new mobo will most likely fix it, but that's a bold assumption to make......

Anyone else have anything?

BTW- I've had the same problem with two other of customer computers from the same manufacturer :)

Since you seem to be a pc tech, you should have a spare mb laying around. Pull the ram, video card, hard drive, psu, and use the spare mb you have laying around and build a working unit out of the case. If it posts with the other mb and all the other original parts, then you can safely assume the mb is toast since all the other original parts are working. This should take care of your bold assumption about the mb.

Well that's not the problem, I have a ton of mobos laying around. But only one is the socket I need. I plan on doing what you mentioned about building up from the mobo. Hopefully that mobo works considering I can't remember when and where I got it.

The manufacturer isn't Gigabyte. It's actually Elitegroup :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom