Phenom on Newegg

Status
Not open for further replies.
It turns out that some CPUs running at 2.4 GHz or above in some benchmarking combinations, while all four cores are running at 100% load, can cause a system freeze

so yes, the 9500's can be considered part of the "some cpu's" because they are talking about all the Agenas.
what they mean is that you might have this problem if you have a Phenom running @ or above 2.4ghz, and that includes overclocking them past 2.4ghz.
the possibility is there, and it is obviously likely enough that it gives give AMD pause about releasing the 9700, which runs at 2.4ghz.
i'd think about it. B3 not too far away. at least let some more in depth overclocking reviews come out.
there are several that have overclocked them fine past that speed.

ya i know B3 stepping is right around the corner, but i need my computer up n running again NOW! Mostly so i can do school work somewhere without being interrupted. I share a computer with like 6 other ppl! I want a quad-core from AMD regardless what the benchmarks say. I can always OC the crap out of the 9500 right? I can get almost every part i want for Christmas thx to my parents finally helping me out in getting my parts, except Arctic Cooling MX-2, Tuniq heatsink, n HD 3870 x2, which i will buy on my own later because i have to wait for the HD 3870 x2 to come out.

my parents will pay $700 n i will pay about $530.

GIGABYTE 3D AURORA GZ-FSCA1-ATB Black Aluminum ATX Full Tower Computer Case
Newegg.com - GIGABYTE 3D AURORA GZ-FSCA1-ATB Black Aluminum ATX Full Tower Computer Case - Retail

Windows Vista Ultimate DVD - Retail
Newegg.com - Microsoft Windows Vista Ultimate DVD - Retail

PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750 Quad (Crossfire Edition) EPS12V PS
Newegg.com - PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750 Quad (Crossfire Edition) EPS12V 750W Power Supply 100 - 240 V UL, CE, CB, RoHS - Retail

MSI K9A2 Platinum AM2+/AM2 AMD 790FX ATX AMD Motherboard
Newegg.com - MSI K9A2 Platinum AM2+/AM2 AMD 790FX ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail

AMD Phenom 9500 Agena 2.2GHz Quad-Core
Newegg.com - AMD Phenom 9500 Agena 2.2GHz Quad-Core 4X 512KB L2 Cache 2MB L3 Cache Socket AM2 95W Processor - Retail

Patriot Extreme Performance 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - 4-4-4-12
Newegg.com - Patriot Extreme Performance 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Retail

Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST3250410AS 250GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive
Newegg.com - Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST3250410AS 250GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM

= around $1216

so what do u think?

^lol cmon now^^
i know how you feel cos i am an AMD fan as well. but, i already have all the hardware to at least run a phenom.
dude i think that for 1200 dollars you are insane to buy an AMD rig at this moment. if you had supporting hardware, i'd say go for it. you have to buy everything. i just dont think it is a wise investment at this point.
as far as OCing the phenom, yeah you might get a killer clock and go toe to toe with a q6600 that is weak in that department. or, you may get one with the TLB problem in full swing, overclock it, be benching out something or stressing the crap out of your processor and get constant crashes.
your choice, your money.
there is no guarantee that the 9500 wont have the same problems as the other phenoms at or above 2.4ghz.
im not going to try and talk you out of anything. i dont like when people tell me how to spend my money. i'm just telling you what i would do.
why not get the am2+ board and like an x2 4000 brisbane that we know will clock to high speeds, and let AMD work out their bugs? when they do you have everything in place with the new mobo and can get a B3 chip. that would make much more sense than buying a chip with known problems.

^lol cmon now^^
i know how you feel cos i am an AMD fan as well. but, i already have all the hardware to at least run a phenom.
dude i think that for 1200 dollars you are insane to buy an AMD rig at this moment. if you had supporting hardware, i'd say go for it. you have to buy everything. i just dont think it is a wise investment at this point.
as far as OCing the phenom, yeah you might get a killer clock and go toe to toe with a q6600 that is weak in that department. or, you may get one with the TLB problem in full swing, overclock it, be benching out something or stressing the crap out of your processor and get constant crashes.
your choice, your money.
there is no guarantee that the 9500 wont have the same problems as the other phenoms at or above 2.4ghz.
im not going to try and talk you out of anything. i dont like when people tell me how to spend my money. i'm just telling you what i would do.
why not get the am2+ board and like an x2 4000 brisbane that we know will clock to high speeds, and let AMD work out their bugs? when they do you have everything in place with the new mobo and can get a B3 chip. that would make much more sense than buying a chip with known problems.

i dunno after seeing some benches on xs.. the agena at 2.2 ghz is as fast as a 3.0+ ghz 6000+ in alot of tests... and 2.2 is guaranteed... 3.0+ is not... i dunno i'd take the agena.. i'm in fact thinking of making an amd rig just for some giggles

9500 running in M2N-SLi deluxe - XtremeSystems Forums and this is on an am2 mobo as well.. not a new 790 board. it shows its cpu score at 2.4 ghz is only 400 points away from a yorksfield at 3.0... this cpu holds great promises

nosboost, where exactly do you get your money? You're either in some seriously illegal stuff, spoiled, somehow got a good job at a young age (I think you're young at least), or in a huge amount of debt.

nosboost, where exactly do you get your money? You're either in some seriously illegal stuff, spoiled, somehow got a good job at a young age (I think you're young at least), or in a huge amount of debt.

All it takes is a paying job and gaming as a high priority. Not that difficult at all when you're a teenager. No house, no car payments, no bills, nothing... just a decent job and no sense to save money. :p

^lol cmon now^^

well, i have no CD for XP to recover my computer n it costs like $30 or so more for Windows Vista Ultimate, so y cant i just go with Vista? At the cost of this, i need better hardware otherwise my computer will run slower then with XP, u know?

i would rather fully upgrade my computer to revive it then use my old hardware.

your choice, your money.

but i thought the TLB problem could be fixed through BIOS update or something? U mean to tell me that if the 9500 i might get has it, there is nothing i can do about it? WHAT A RIP OFF!!

i dont want to go dual-core, ive waited too long to go dual-core n want to go quad-core. The purpose of me doing this is because then i wont have to fully upgrade my computer for like 3-4 yrs, which is worth me saving money. I've only used my 3000+ for like 2 yrs n im getting sick of it, plus not having a kick *** graphics card.

again, this could be fixed, otherwise AMD would of delayed the 9500 too.

n i appreciate ur help. I mean, there is nothing more important to me then getting my computer up n running again after almost a year without a computer. This has been a huge burden for me mostly with school n not having a quiet place in my house with my own computer to use.

why not get the am2+ board and like an x2 4000 brisbane that we know will clock to high speeds, and let AMD work out their bugs? then *fixed* you have everything in place with the new mobo and can get a B3 chip. that would make much more sense than buying a chip with known problems.

im trying to skip dual-core to go quad-core that can last me 3-4 yrs without upgrading for while. Yet again, u r right n i believe u that all the Phenoms r messed up. Couldnt this be fixed from AMD via Windows Update or BIOS update?

All it takes is a paying job and gaming as a high priority. Not that difficult at all when you're a teenager. No house, no car payments, no bills, nothing... just a decent job and no sense to save money. :p

Exactly the position im in. I have nothing to pay for n if i dont upgrade fully soon, then i would have to start paying for car insurance *when i get my license*, cell phone *first one for me to pay*, n way later - health insurance.

Well I suppose if you're a bum mooching off parents it wouldn't be that hard :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom