Data Files

Status
Not open for further replies.
Look I have 2 pc's both of em have winxp on fat-32 no dual boot nothing.... 2 partitions of one pc is on ntfs file system.... they are shared on the network .... my other pc can access the ntfs partition and so can I ....! so how come you are saying that "fat32 it will NOT access the local NTFS HDD" ..??? I know windows 98 interface cannot access it because it does not support it and I do not use any utility or anything to access my ntfs drives on my local hdd or frm the network...!

When accessing over a network, thats fine. If booting with FAT32 and accessing a slave HDD in the SAME computer (not over a network) FAT32 is unable to recognize a NTFS table. Now, if you boot NTFS, u can read a FAT32, but not vice-a versa unless done from a network (like computer A can access data on computer B, its a part of the network model. Its like a small gateway in your system (not really, but its the closest I can think of). You may of installed something on a local system that has the secondary function of reading other file tables and not realized it because you use this for its main function. Anyhow, on a normal system it is not possible. Check out microsoft.com and do a lookup on it. Now when I say 'local' I mean the HDD that is in the same computer. So, to make it short, here is what it looks like you are saying:

You have 2 pc's A and B both are win9x with FAT32... so...
A = FAT32
B = FAT32

A and B are on a network
you have another PC we'll call C it has 2 partitions that uses NTFS

(A) FAT32
(C)NTFS
(B) FAT32

A and B can access C because they are accessing it via the network. C can access itself since, well, it's NTFS. Now, if it were like this:

(A) FAT32 <boot> NTFS 2nd drive
(C)NTFS
(B) FAT32

then computer A can boot and read computer C's NTFS, but can NOT read its own 2nd drive. Computer B can read both A and C (over a network). A cant because its local, OR is located on the SAME computer. You've got to remember that when accessing over a network you have alot of data interpretation going on, and the hardware in the computer will interpret what it needs. When accessing a drive in you're own system, though, its using its own logic to try and read something with out a interpreter.

Argh, sorry... got it backwards... change the NTFS with FAT32 ;) Been working all day and my brain is rattling heheh

hey thanx a bunch for all the explanation ... but you know on my pc A i have two hdd's ... the second hdd has an ntfs partition.... but i know wot you are trying to say.! you are saying that 1 hdd is on fat32<boot> and the other on NTFS<it is also bootable if its selected in the bios> the hdd 2 has file system NTFS and winxp is intalled i know wot your tryin to say ..... bcuz ntfs has a security sort of stuff you cant access it bcuz it doesn allow you to..!! is that it..?? my second hdd is not bootable but it does have an ntfs partition and it is accesable..! and i know all the softwares i have on my pc and none of them are the ones that do that sort of stuff..!!

kind of... I thinks that I may of misunderstood what you were saying ;) Remember also that it depends on what NTFS version that you are running. For example, if you had XP with fat32 AND NTFS, you'd have no problems. However, NT 4.0 will not read without either SP updates or 3rd party due to the way the files are organized/handled.

I think it would be SO much easier if I could just draw out a diagram :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom