Still having problems with AGP card

Status
Not open for further replies.

arian487

Solid State Member
It doesn't seem to be working...in dxdiag its showing that its running on the generic thing or something and I should install driver. So let me begin...

First I stuck in the card in the AGP slot, connected one end to the PSU and the other to the card. I made sure it was clipped down tightly and then turned on the computer. First I tried installing drivers from the ATI website (the card is the X800 SE by the way) and got the files called ATI X800 series. So, it installed a few things but then an error comes and tells me that no drivers could be found compatible with the current hardware. I then tried installing VIA the CD provided and that worked but when I reboot, it did nothing. Its still showing that I have no card in the dxdiag and videos are slow as **** so I'm sure its not working.

Next, I checked BIOS and changed some thing...

1) In advanced under chip configuration I made sure AGP capability was 4X (the highest I could) and changed graphics aperture size from 64MB to 256MB since the new card is 256MB.

2) Under PCI configuration in advanced there was an option that was called: "PCI/VGA Palette Snoop" and in the description it stated: "Some nonstandard VGA cards require this field to be enabled, otherwise leave disabled". So I left it disabled since I wasn't sure.

3) Then in the same section there was option called "Primary VGA BIOS" and it was set to PCI VGA card and I changed it to AGP VGA card. That was weird since my old card (All in wonder 7500) was AGP...or at least I think.

I thought for sure it'd work so then I reboot, and tried installing again from the site and once again it told me no drivers were found compatible with current hardware. I then tried again from the disc and again no error came and it told me to reboot and when I did, it was still showing as generic. It still couldn't find my X800. I checked the power and the fan is spinning so it looks to be getting power. I'm not sure anymore.

By the way, before installing drivers I did run driver cleaner and got rid of old ATI files.

The primary display adapter setting in the bios should be at AGP not PCI. The oldest Catalyst version in the previous software/drivers section is the Cat. 6.11 version among some others for ths older pre-X1xxx series cards found at Previous Catalystâ„¢ Drivers for Windows XP

Being that the latest drivers are intended for the new DX10 compatible PCI-Express cards being the Radeon 2xxx line and the X1xxx DX9c cards you would have to try an older release not the latest out.

I didn't try the latest. I went there and tried one that was...or so it says intended for the x800 series. I believe the model was 7.11. And I did switch the primary VGA thing from PCI to AGP. I'll try the 6.11 you suggested though.

You first have to see the latest 7.11 totally removed since you rushed into the latest. That will impede installing the older versions being intended as the update for those.

The latest is the last thing since those are intended for the X1xxx models along with the HD 2xxx DX10 compatible cards now seen. ATI doesn't tell you that the versions for the Xxxx models are in the previous drivers section like the 6.11. :rolleyes:

That may have been the problem. I'll try it now. I'll uninstall all drivers and install 6.11. I've also emailed ATI if its still not fixed.

So I just did what you said. I completely uninstalled all drivers and used driver cleaner pro in safe mode to make sure. I then went on to start the installation for the 6.11 display driver and it said setup could not complete. Try to install using standard VGA drivers or something like that.

That's probably the newer catalyst version's installation logs getting in the way there. Once the driver removal tool is used or even using the system restore feature to roll things back just before putting the 7.11 on you should see the basic drivers go right on without problems.

While ATI was the first out with drivers before NVidia while Vista was still in beta form only like RC1 the 7.9 was a real headache here for both XP and Vista alike on the newer DX10 compatible card here. The 7.10 cleaned up the mess in Vista and hopefully the 7.11 will correct the problems still seen in XP. The problem there is seeing all traces of the latest off since that is for the newer models since the X800 came out.

The ATICimUn.exe file found in the ATI>driver folder on the drive or on the cd is the driver removal tool. The problem is not seeing the drivers removed but the installation record for the newer catalyst.

Using the original setup on the software disk and then going for the newer 6.11 would be one way to update from the original to a slightly older catalyst for that model. Make sure any antivirus of firewall programs are disabled as well since those can complicate things at times.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom