need help about installing 2nd HD

Status
Not open for further replies.

gohand

In Runtime
I just got a old 4gb fujitsu hard drive on my old system and trying to install it at this computer which had:

athlon xp 2400
512m ddr sdram
40g maxtor HD
MB: k7s5apro by EliteGroup

but the 4gb fujisu HD had a win98 installed, after I set the fujitsu HD's jumper to slave and plug it in. started the windows. the windows was able to recognize it like plug and play and installed it and displays ready to use, but i don't see it in my computer. I try to open device manager>disk drives, the fujisu was there. click on property, all seem good and saying "This device is working properly." location is (1) which is on ide 1, i tried to boot up in dos to use fdisk but there are nothing display as this drive nor any new drives added. how can I add it to another drive e.g E: or G: so i can use it under windows? thanks in advence!

I'm pretty sure that you aren't going to be able to see it because it is in the FAT32 format. XP is in the NTFS format and they cannot communicate. Save yourself alot of trouble and grief and pull off the data that you need to the new drive and throw the 4GB away.

Jonesie said:
I'm pretty sure that you aren't going to be able to see it because it is in the FAT32 format. XP is in the NTFS format and they cannot communicate.

Jonesie, you're mistaken... When installing XP, the user has the option to either format the drive as FAT32 or NTFS. It does NOT have to be in NTFS. Gohand mentioned nothing about his current XP partition as being NTFS. If it was, it would not matter as you can still read data on a FAT32 partition from a NTFS partition. (It does not work the other way around however).

Gohand, your posting is confusing... first you say that "...windows was able to recognize it like plug and play and installed it and displays ready to use"... then you say "... but i don't see it in my computer." Where in Windows did you look? If the Device Manager reports the fujitsu drive then you've set the jumpers correctly. If not, then mostly likely the jumpers are off.

I would first make sure that your original HDD w/ XP is set as "Master" and not as CS - Cable Select. This can cause a conflict on some MBs if you don't use a consistent method, i.e. master/slave or CS.

Also, each EIDE channel can have upto 2 devices. If you have a CD-ROM or CD-RW drive i would recommend setting that as "slave" on your IDE channel #1.

Install the Fujitsu drive as Master/slave on IDE channle #2.

I tried your method Lone Wolf, the maxtor drive was set to cs, now set back to master. but it remain the same. what i meant is that the message display on the lower right corner of the screen said that the drive is installed and ready to use, and at device manager too. but i don't see any drive added at the folder:"My computer". p.s: i had formated that 4* drive, now is purely a fat32 without any os but i could convert it to ntfs anytime if necessary, it was for the purpose of as a backup device

you can see details on the screen shoot:

OK, good... now that you have changed it from CS to Master... that's gonna make this situation much easier.

Both 2000 and XP have a disk management feature built into it. You assign a drive letter to the 4 GB Fujitsu and you should be good 2 go... no need to convert it from FAT32 to NTFS. Check out this MSKB article ...it'll walk you through it. Read the part where it says "How to Assign a Drive Letter".

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307844&Product=winxp#2

ahhhhh..... very good! Hey amazing... someone who was actually polite in making his request... understood what was being said... actually followed the directions... and voila! Problem solved... LOL... Glad it all worked out for ya Gohand. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom