new OS or just use the same old one?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Z e i g

In Runtime
now i am pretty sure i haven't asked this yet, i like my current OS right now, but its old...about 4 years old to be precise. and i was wondering, for my new comp i am building. my dad wants me to get a new hard drive and just get a new OS for it buuut, i am thinking about keeping the hard drive i have now and just throwing it into the new comp.

now..would i really NEED a new OS? what are the Pros of getting a new one? and what OS do you sugest (not Vista)?

plz help!!!

First just throwing the HDD in the new PC will cause trouble. Since the hardware will not be the same. You will get nothing but errors. You should do a fresh install of any OS on a new machine.

I am guessing that it is XP. So from here i would say that XP is only on sale till June 08 and not support for much longer after 2010 or so. Sooner or later you will have to upgrade. If not Vista then Windows 7.

Vista is not tha bad. Why is everyone so freaking scared of it?

But knoestly go with a Linux distro. ubuntu is good. PCLinuxOS isnt bad. But you wont be able to game.

so just completely new os? when i put the OS disk in will it just write over the old one? and i have just heard alot of bad things about vista.

Yes. Format the hard drive and install fresh. That is the best way to go. Most of the errors from swapping hard drives can be fixed. But not all the time.

Windows XP Install - TechModo

There is a nice instruction tut on how to do a fresh install of XP.

Yes there have been many bad thigns said about Vista. But at the same time the first 2 years XP was out there were just as many bad things said then. Wonder what will be said when Windows 7 comes out. Will we praise Vista and bash Windows 7???

But honestly if you dont game Ubuntu is a good answer as well. Also you will haev to buy a OEM disc of XP. Cant have the same serial active on 2 machines.

Ubuntu is a Linux distro.

Ubuntu Home Page | Ubuntu

OEM disc is a disc that is used by comapnies like Dell and HP. It doesnt come with any instructions or packaging. It is jsut the disc and the serial. OEM stands for Original Manufacturer Equipment.

I think Vista is alright and Windows 7 if they do it right will be even better.

Well the reasion we complane about Vista And XP for the first two years is because It takes MS about that long of us bata testing the OS to make it right. I installed XP 4 times before i stuck with it cause it was so buggy at first and vista in no different. Ive tried it twice and after fighting it for 3 months I got rid of it again. I know some day I will be using it but not for another year or so.. I think it would be fine for someone who just wants to check email and browes the net but for a power user and tweakers Vista sucks so far. And thats just my opinion...

I like linux more than Windows, but linux takes a lot more work in learning it, and putting time into it to make it perfect.

Many people are not willing to put this extra time into it. They don't want to hunt around for an open source program when they've already found a popular Windows one.

For this reason, I recommend Windows. If you *need* to buy a brand new Windows, then get Vista.

However, from the sounds of your situation, you're just replacing a hard drive. If that's the case, just stick with what you have. Surely you have an install, or recovery disc. If not, then use a program to identify your Windows Serial, and 'find' a Windows install disk and just do a clean install of what you already have.

Well the reasion we complane about Vista And XP for the first two years is because It takes MS about that long of us bata testing the OS to make it right. I installed XP 4 times before i stuck with it cause it was so buggy at first and vista in no different. Ive tried it twice and after fighting it for 3 months I got rid of it again. I know some day I will be using it but not for another year or so.. I think it would be fine for someone who just wants to check email and browes the net but for a power user and tweakers Vista sucks so far. And thats just my opinion...
In this case how about this. Stop using it before you think it is ready? I mean if you go out and buy it before you think that M$ has done a good job and getting it ready for use then you are the one to blame. Why complain about something that you have all the control over? That is what i dont get. You DONT HAVE to buy it. You DONT HAVE to use it. Yet people get it and then complain about it. Well DUH. Dont buy it then you wont have to complain about it. Its that simple really.

I got it. I had a few small complaint but i directed them toward M$ in emails to their support people. Now look most of the stuff i complained about is being addressed in SP1. Why come to a site like this where people are trying to help you and complain. Direct it at M$. Only then can it get fixed.

Linux is kinda hard to use at first. But Ubuntu was really easy to use. Within a hour i had everything installed and working. With the help of their wiki it made life really easy. Plus it is a good free replacement for Windows. The only reason why i said buy a new one is because he will get a hard drive to replace the one he is taking no? If not well then dont worry about it. But if yes then will have to. ;)

okay awsome i know i don't want Vista for a while, maybe later tho! so i need a GREAT OS by X-mas that is new and i can play halo and CS, assasins creed and all those great new games on!!! please wht should i get, that is XP

http://www.techist.com/forums/f75/question-again-rebuilding-comp-157298/
thts the link to my new build and the motherboard is on the last page. (i know this isn't the Hardware section but no one has really replied lately on it to me, so with that OS if its related, whts a good HD i can get for my build and the OS?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom