Boot problem following PSU replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.

riciclez

Beta member
Hi everyone- wondered if any of you could help with this.

My setup comprises

Asus A8V Deluxe
Athlon 64 3500+
2 gigs of ram (PC3200)
Gainward 7900GS
Seagate 320gig SATA HD
Mercury EP-4500 500w PSU
XP-SP2

My Hiper 570w PSU died a few weeks ago and I've just got the Mercury as a replacement. I installed it and the computer came to life as normal when I switched it on but the system isn't booting up properly.

The monitor flicks on for half a second before going back to standby mode and the hard disk light comes on for ten seconds then switches itself on again. The system hangs after that.

Its as if the boot process is not initiating as it should and there are no error bleeps to go on.

Anyone have any ideas of what could be causing this? The new PSU, while slightly less powerful than the Hiper, ought to be meeting the power requirements of my system no problem.

I did replace the CMOS battery as part of my efforts to fix the origianl problem (faulty PSU) and it meant the system was without one for a few hours. Not sure this is of any relevance but thought I'd mention it.

Any help with this would be very much appreciated, thanks :)

Did you forget the 12v cpu feed? That's the small molex type plug that goes in near the cpu socket. Without that plugged or making good contact the system will stall right there. When going to swap a supply on one build here it also failed to start.

The problem was found when unplugging the four wire cpu feed and only lightly plugging it back in until the retainer clicked in place. A loose contact in the plug made sense for seeing that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom