ATITool Artifact test + 8800 gtx failure

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow you're getting temps in the 80's? Mine have never been that high and I'm at a higher overclock than that. Doesn't your rig have good cooling? What's the ambient temp in your room?

And by the way, I don't trust ati tool (even though from what I've read, it is reliable) for artifact checking. The way I look at it, if it can pass 3DMark06, and if I can play my games just fine with no tearing, glitches, etc, then my card is stable. I don't care about getting artifacts in a program like that, because I don't use my card to run ATI Tool. I use it to play games. That's just like overclocking your CPU, and then checking for errors by running Orthos and getting all worked up because you got errors. Well, what did you overclock the CPU for? To calculate pi, or to play games? (Sorry if that analogy didn't make sense, I am doing a lot of things right now).

uh I thought all 8800 gtx cards will get to 80 at least when using scan for artifact for at least 30 mins since it pushes ur card to the max. The load temp for games however for me only reaches like 74ish max

Hmm so I ran the artifact test for 70 minutes on 600/980 and it had no errors and everything was fine with a max load temp of 85 celcius. I'm still wondering is 612/1000 really that much of a jump to cause errors? I heard from someone that a 8800 GTX is already at 80% capacity stock so some don't have as much overclocking head room compared to other cards. My ambient temps are pretty much around 22 celcius and when its summer time they get as high as 27 celcius

I thought I had decent wire management and airflow going through my system.

Perhaps ATi Tool has compatibility issues with the 8800GTX. Play some games and see if you get artifacts.

Video cards can get much hotter than CPU's. Most video cards have a threshold of over 100*C, so 80*C, while it is pretty hot, won't hurt anything. However it may reduce the overall life of the card, but if you're that concerned get some better cooling.

Perhaps ATi Tool has compatibility issues with the 8800GTX. Play some games and see if you get artifacts.

Video cards can get much hotter than CPU's. Most video cards have a threshold of over 100*C, so 80*C, while it is pretty hot, won't hurt anything. However it may reduce the overall life of the card, but if you're that concerned get some better cooling.

well the overall life of the card is actually of NO concern to me since EVGA offers lifetime warranty and I already RMAed once ( my previous 8800 gtx was messed up and would idle at 74 celcius! not enough thermal paste the tech support probably said ). But yeah I dont get any artifacts in games or at least none I can spot.

Question for another who has their 8800 gtx overclocked past 620, can you pass the artifact test with no errors and reset for at least 60 minutes?

What do you mean by "reset for 60 minutes?"

well sometimes when I did 612/1000 it would get an artifact but it wouldnt say delta like usual it would just reset the no error timer and display artifact something for a split second. Either way it basically means the test failed.

Question to everyone if you overclocked your 8800 GTX past 630 mhz core: Whats the longest time duration you've done the ATITool artifact test without artifacts, errors, or timer resets

correction videocard threshold is 120 degrees celcius before power down..

i know from experience w/ my old 7900gt voltmodded

by old defective 8800 GTX ( it would idle at 74 celcius ) used to shut down when I ran 3d benchmark 2006, I really doubt it reached 120 celcius and more along the lines shut down at around 100ish celcius

anyone else can answer the great question I keep asking :p so far I got nosboost and the blit guy confirmed about the artifact failure at OCs past 630 core mhz

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom