Corsair XMS PRO: From 512 Mb to 1 GB... More Frames In FarCry?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pac0 said:
Loading times will be quicker, but sorry to say that I doubt it will improve in game-real time performance.

game performance will improve the more ram you have.

if the game takes up a lot of RAM, and the total RAM used is more than 512MB, you're using a paging file which will slow down the game. in this case an upgrade of RAM would increase the performance, otherwise it would just depend on whether you run dual channel; I think some s754 motherboards can run dual channel even though the CPU hasn't got a dual channel controller like the 939's and 940's, because the motherboard can be made with one

Actually, FarCry is the first game that takes advantage of 256 M video cards and 1 G RAM if available so yes you would see a difference. How much is another question. My guess would be a few fps but not much.
You can also increase your fps slightly by doing the following:
Start the game then hit contl+alt to go to windows.
Hit contl + alt + del (winxp) to enter windows task manager.
locate the FarCry process and right click on it.
change its priority to high instead of normal.
This should give you a slight improvement. It gave me around 5fps when I played it

Okay... Perfect. The RAM that I need has been backordered anyway for a while... But when I can, I am going to get an additional 512 Mb... Perhaps even an additional Gig!

Thx for taking the time to respond everyone. I appreciate a lot!

i've heard it isn't a good idea to mix RAM, ie, one stick of 512 and one stick of a gig. i've heard it messes with the speed i little...correct me though if i'm wrong.

it wont let you run in dual channel because the two sticks are different but otherwise its fine especially if his mb doesnt support dual channel anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom