My New Laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.

c0mmun1st4lyf3

In Runtime
So today on black friday, i bought a 300 dollar laptop. Intel Celeron M with Windows Vista. It is a bit slow, but thats ok because i will be using this for school work anyways. It is 1.7gh and has 1gb ram.
Today I used it for the whole day, and it froze around 3 times already. One of them I saw the blue screen (hardware problems) which restarted the computer.
Is it a smart thing to uninstall the Vista and put XP in it?

Uhhh.... yea, if not linux. That laptop is wayyy underpowered to run vista at any reasonable level. I would recommend loading a linux distro... which is what I did for my laptop that has almost identical specs.

I would take that sucker back if it has any type of warranty..

You think that is bad.

I have a 1.6ghz celeron M and 512mb of ram with Vista.....

Lol, I am just looking for a stable laptop for my college life. I don't want to play games on it... So I should change to XP?

PS. I have never used linux...

Ya, is it the Acer Aspire 3680 by any chance? If so, then I have already looked and there are all the needed drivers on their website.

it is a Compaq PresarioC700. yes yes, i know...It's not very good. Everything is installed on it already.

By the way, does your laptop's fan turn on from time to time? Mine turns on for a few seconds in 2min intervals. or around 2 mins..

no, it wont be that easy to install XP, the file system in Vista and XP differs. you need to wipe clean the H/D to get XP on.

Darik's Boot and Nuke (Hard Drive Disk Wipe)

download this free utility to clean the hard drive (fairly easy process), then you will be able to install XP, else keep trying, it wont install XP.

and laptop fan turning ON few minutes is OK, as your laptop came with onboard graphics, and vista being pretty heavy on graphics, so your CPU has to do 50% of the GPU's work. and moving around XP means, graphics power needed. which puts loads on your CPU, ultimately turning on the FAN.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom