overclocking Amd 5200

Status
Not open for further replies.

Megalo

Beta member
Hi i was wondering if someone could help me overclock my AMD 5200 processor. My hardware is listed bellow:

Hardware:

PSU=

a EZcool socket 775 550watt

+3.3VDC: 30A
+5VDC: 32A
-5V: 0.5A
+12VDC: 36A
-12VDC: 0.8A
+5VSB: 3.0A

Also running Nvidia 8800 320mb card and 2 hardrives 1:250gb sata2 and 2: ide 150gb from old pc plus 1 dvdRw

running temps:

My plan was to upgrade my memory to:
* Corsair Memory TWIN2X2048-6400C4 2x1GB 240-Pin DIMM XMS2-6400 CL4
This will cost me £52.07 inc vat

Id like to know how much of a performance boost this should give me and a rough estimate at what overclock is possible. Although any help or advice on other possible upgrades is greately appreciated. Thanks :)

How about RAM Timming's and FSB to RAM Ratio?

Post the current CMOS Settings for the RAM.
Whats the current Heatsink and thermal paste?
What are the voltages to the RAM and any other voltage you changed?

lol im putting the low replys down to the fact i have an AMD :freak: . Im building a new rig next summer and would like to maximize this ones performance until then. helps :rolleyes:

nah ive just been busy the past couple of days.
OK here is where you start. im not familiar with your mobo, so i dont know your bios, i may need a shot of that.
you need to get into the bios and familiarize yourself with it, and then what i am saying will make sense. if you dont know your bios, you wont understand the numbers and settings i am spewing in this reply.
your first step will be to lower the HT multiplier, which will be in your bios and it will be set to auto or "5".
you need to lower this to at least "4", but i suggest 3 for the sake of taking it out of the equation, so it wont cause instability. this controls your ht link speed which you will notice in cpuz is right at 1000mhz (bus speed 200 x ht multiplier 5 = 1000mhz, get it?). you need to keep it at or below that. so, say you raise your bus speed to 210mhz you would multiply 210 x 3 = 630 ht link no problem. you can actually keep your ht multi at 4 until you reach past a bus speed of 250.
second, lower your ram speed to keep it under its rated speed. this should be in a section of your bios called advanced memory timings or some such.
it will probably be set to auto, you need to change that so you can adjust it downwards. set it at 533 or 667, you will need to change it down to 533 if you get your bus speed over about 300mhz.
EDIT: i notice your ram is ddr2 667. you need to set it at least down to 533, as you approach 300 mhz core, you will need to set it to ddr2 400 if your mobo allows you.
okay, so in your bios you will have an external clock speed or processor speed. this number is the 200 in cpuz. this is what you raise to overclock. raise it in like 15 mhz increments and reboot. do this till it doesnt boot windows anymore. once that happens, re-set the cmos (see your mobo manual) re-do all your memory and HT settings, and raise cpu speed to the last setting that worked.
you will need to stabilitty test at this point. orthos is good. let it run for about an hour. if it re-boots or fails the stability test, go into your bios and raise the core voltage in the smallest increment possible. then try the stability test again. repeat until it passes at least one hour of orthos.
once it passes an hour, raise the voltage up another notch and go into the clock speed and try to raise it more.
basically you repeat this until you get your clock where you want it, then you run orthos for a good 4-8 hours and make sure it doesnt fail. if it fails at any point during that 4-8 hours, raise the voltage a notch and try again.
a windsor you can go up to 1.6V by your temps will be sky high. i would keep it under 1.475 or so and watch your temps. you dont want it to load temp over about 50-55 or so if possible.
you may be able to get around 3ghz with that mobo and cpu, from what i hear those boards are excellent overclockers, and i know the chipset is good (i used to have an abit nf4). which is funny because the 570 m2n blows nuts. EDIT: your ram may inhibit it from attaining that clock. depends on your mobos ram settings (if it will allow you to select ddr2 400).
watch your temps and make sure you test the stability.
hopefully this helps. i will be on later if you have questions.

Thanks for the response, im going to wait till i get the Corsair Memory TWIN2X2048-6400C4 2x1GB 240-Pin DIMM XMS2-6400 CL4 at £52.07 then give that a go. Should have the mem in a few days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom