Processor Choice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clutch

Beta member
I'm building a new computer and have been trying to decided on a processor. I have narrowed it down to two.

Intel Core 2 Duo Processor E6850 (2x 3.0GHz/4MB L2 Cache/1333FSB)

or

Intel Core 2 Quad Processor Q6600 (4x 2.4GHz/8MB L2 Cache/1066FSB)

Both are the same price. Which one do you think would do best in a gaming computer?

Tough choice indeed. I don't know enough about this kind of thing to say for sure but I would kind of lean towards the E6850 because it seems faster but the Q6600 has 4 instead of two so logically that seems like the better choice. If I had to guess based on what I know I'd say Q6600 would be able to handle more powerful stuff but the other one would be better with games that don't make use of the Q6600's power.

Thats my guess anyway. If you want something to last you a few years then the Q6600 would probably last longer.

Sorry I can't be of too much help. Good choices though I'm sure someone will be able to help soon.

I'd get the Q6600.

With a good heatsink & fan it can be overclocked to 3+ ghz. Current games might not see as much benefit from the quad core, but upcoming games like Crysis, and what not, have multi-threading technology that will get more benefit from the quad.

I've heard that quad cores run pretty hot. Do you have any recommendations for a good cooling system that will allow it to be over clocked 3+?

Personally, I wouldnt put an AF7 on a Quad Core. My e6300 can hit 53 on load with one, so I could imaging a high clocked q6600 being uncomfortably hot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom