Overclocking E2160. Mobo Up For It?

Status
Not open for further replies.

westy159

In Runtime
Im planning a new build (as i have been for the past two months >__>).
Whilst reading about getting the E2160 CPU to do 3.0-3.2Ghz speeds, this was talked about:

However, this overclocking venture requires a relatively fashionable motherboard, as all Core 2 processors (including the Pentium Dual Core) require a voltage regulator unit that complies to the VRM11 spec.

This is necessary to handle rapidly and frequently changing current levels due to power saving mechanisms inside modern processors, which may even shut down entire processing units or cache segments when not needed.

I am going with an Abit P35E motherboard. Will there be any issues here?

Also how is the Abit P35E with overclocking? Im confident and experienced in overclocking and unlocking graphics card capabilities in RivaTuner. However, Ive never touched a CPU before.

Im choosing the E2160 + Artic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro + overclocking over an E6550. Hope im making the right choice.

P5K Premium = £121

No can do, im on a budget. Im for the Abit P35E cause its cheap and more reliable than the DS3L apparently.

yes.. but its more than he can afford.. and the Abit is better than the Gigabyte counterparts of the P35 boards..

Im planning a new build (as i have been for the past two months >__>).
Whilst reading about getting the E2160 CPU to do 3.0-3.2Ghz speeds, this was talked about:

I am going with an Abit P35E motherboard. Will there be any issues here?

Also how is the Abit P35E with overclocking? Im confident and experienced in overclocking and unlocking graphics card capabilities in RivaTuner. However, Ive never touched a CPU before.

Im choosing the E2160 + Artic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro + overclocking over an E6550. Hope im making the right choice.

The Abit IP35-E is a fantastic choice, but if you can find it for cheaper, get a Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L and save yourself some cash. It's pretty much on par with the Abit and just looks a lot nicer, IMO. My only complaint is that you have to always press Ctrl-F1 to be able to modify your RAM timings in BIOS and it doesn't show you what your initial voltages are, which is a pain, plus it does not support firewire on the board itself, you'd have to use a PCI card, but none of those things were really a problem for me on the most recent system I built.

My bad, I haven't read the post where you highlighted your concern over the DS3L. I don't know, I had an E2160 running on it beautifully. The thing I like about this board is that it will automatically do a stability test on boot and if it fails, it will reboot on stable settings and returns you to BIOS automatically so you can modify your settings again. I've overclocked the E2160 on stock cooling to 3.0GHz and my OCZ Plats to 1002MHz @ 5-5-5-15. I've had no problems with it before I had my system sold.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom