Status
Not open for further replies.

Infinite

Baseband Member
I recently built my new computer:

Q6600
8800 GTS 640
Gigabyte DS3R motherboard
and Creative Xtreme Gamer (not fatal1ty)

Anyways, when I'm playing oblivion, whenever something graphically intense is on the screen (gpu being stressed), which in oblivion is often, there's this chirping noise coming from somewhere in my system. Funny enough, I thought this chirping was part of oblivion at first, because it sounds like a cricket. I can even hear it very faintly when the case is open and im not playing a game. But it gets really loud when playing, depending on if something graphically intense is on screen (the more intense, the louder it is).

I think it's my video card, but im not sure and was hoping someone would be able to recognize the sound.

Here's a sound file of the noise (Note - I was moving the mic around trying to pick up the noise, so there are one or two muted thumps in the soundfile... don't play at earbursting volumes right away if you're wearing headphones):

(RapidShare - 300kb) crickets.mp3

Any ideas what it could be? It's really annoying!

I would say its your fan on the GPU Take a pencel unsharpened and with the game running put the eraser on the video card by the fan and the other end in your ear. That way you can be sure. If it is the fan you could probably take it out and clean it and maybe put a little oil on the fan. but it would be best to replace the fan.

Thanks for your suggestion sPlAtOid. Unfortunately I can say pretty confidently that it's not the fan that is causing the noise; I used RivaTuner to set the fan speed at 50%, 75%, and 100%, and at all three levels the chirping was still there and at the same volume.

Edit: Forgot to mention my power supply is a corsair vx550w... the noise isnt coming from it though.

Yes my 8800 gts 640mb does this as well like when im reading somethink in adobe reader i here this sound as well when im scrolling down the page when its zoomed in a fair bit

i have the same thing, except its a sensationally annoying high-pitched whining. i found if i just stopped the fan on my graphics card with my finger for a few seconds, the whining ceased. i changed the fan speed and that didnt stop it. it comes on and off occasionally, but only when im playing games.

I can say for sure now that it isn't my video card's fan. Even when the fan is stopped, the sound doesn't cease.

Should I RMA? Ugh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom