help . ..Window XP problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

madking153

In Runtime
Hi, need help in problems below:

1. recently don't know why , When the computer start to boot ( the very first screen when u restart you computer - where u can hit delete to enter BIOS ) a mssg said that: CMOS checksum error , default loaded . I have to hit F1 then only continue... after that , the computer automatic run checkdisk on my c drive...

SO , what can I do to get rid of the mssg and disable the checkdisk function everytime i restart my computer

2. I planning to upgrade my other gaming pc's ram from 2gb ( 2 x 1gb) to 4gb
Currently I have 2 x 1gb samsung DDR2 , is it ok I add another 2x 1gb of Kingstons brand? I mean is the brand different will work fine ?

thanks in advance

Problem 1 can be solved with a reset of your CMOS. Remove the battery that is on your motherboard. There might be a jumper to reset as well. But you will have to check you motherboards web site to know that for sure.

As for #2 yes you can. As long as they are the same type. But be warned if you system is a 32 Bit system (x86) then you will not get to use all 4GB of it. 32 Bit systems are limited to 3 or 3.5GB of RAM. They can not use a full 4GB. You will have to upgrade to 64 Bit for that.

thanks for the reply , How can i check whether my com is 32 bit system or 64?

i using AMD 64 X2 3800+
M32n8X deluxe

CPUz will tell you if you are 64 Bit compatable. But only in the BIOS will tell you if you are 64 bit enabled.

CPUz will tell you if you are 64 Bit compatable. But only in the BIOS will tell you if you are 64 bit enabled.

Mak I am curious....do you have to have a matching 64-bit OS to be able to use 4GB of RAM as mentioned? or is simply having a 64-bit CPU enough? I have been out of touch with technology for a long long time :)

It has to be a 64 Bit OS. Just a 64 Bit enabled CPU will not be enough. A 32 Bit OS will only recognize and use 3GB to 2.5 GB of the RAM. Which also includes your GFX Card. So if you have say a 8800 GTX which has 768MB you will see even less. This is just a major bug of 32 Bit OS's which has never been corrected. It also affects OS X and Linux. But OS X as of Leopard is now all 64 Bit AFAIK.

It has to be a 64 Bit OS. Just a 64 Bit enabled CPU will not be enough. A 32 Bit OS will only recognize and use 3GB to 2.5 GB of the RAM. Which also includes your GFX Card. So if you have say a 8800 GTX which has 768MB you will see even less. This is just a major bug of 32 Bit OS's which has never been corrected. It also affects OS X and Linux. But OS X as of Leopard is now all 64 Bit AFAIK.

No it's not so if you have a 64bit processor and a 32bit OS then it is also okey because all the lower version are Upward Compatible. So no problem will occur dude.

the thing of not accessing the 4GB only depends on your processor if it is 64Bit you can address more memory and if it is 32bit then it can addres less memory module.

No it's not so if you have a 64bit processor and a 32bit OS then it is also okey because all the lower version are Upward Compatible. So no problem will occur dude.
First off this has nothign to do with the question asked. Yes you can run a 32 Bit OS on a 64 Bit processor. But that is not what he asked.
the thing of not accessing the 4GB only depends on your processor if it is 64Bit you can address more memory and if it is 32bit then it can addres less memory module.
No you can not. You can not run a 32 Bit OS on a 64 Bit processor and still recognize 4 GB of RAM. IT IS NOT POSSIBLE. The processor is not what addresses the RAM while is Windows is it? No. The CPU is only to process what the OS and software tell it to. The 4GB limit is something that is built into all 32 Bit Operating Systems. Having a 64 Bit processor with a 32 Bit OS will not get around this. It is the limnit of the Operating System. If you have a 64 Bit OS then you can address more. Please do not try and tell me i am wrong.

The 4GB Windows Memory Limit: What does it really mean? - From BrianMadden.com

By definition, a 32-bit processor uses 32 bits to refer to the location of each byte of memory. 2^32 = 4.2 billion, which means a memory address that's 32 bits long can only refer to 4.2 billion unique locations (i.e. 4 GB).

I knwo what i am talking about. Running a 32 Bit XP on a 64 Bit processor will not get around this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom