Harddrive won't boot, should I put it on a working computer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

akasixcon

This is sparta!
I have a hard drive that doesn't run right. It said something like a file is missing. This is on Computer A.

I connected it to my working PC, Computer B, as I have two IDE connetors, for two hard drives, (or whatever you call the thing you connect your hard drive to inside the computer) but then my computer doesn't boot. When I remove the hard drive it allows my computer to boot again.

What is my solution?

How do I fix my hard drive? I'm pretty sure its a software problem but it could be a hardware problem also.

Do you have an operating system on that drive? If so that will give you problems. Do you have two hard drives in comp B if so make sure one is slave and one is master with the jumpers if there on the same cable. If you have a windows XP disk or a windows 98 floppy disk you can reformat the drive and then try it.

Hey Dave I win HAHA

If you add a second HD it must be set as slave and the primary as master using the jumpers. Otherwise you may not get it to boot at all. The HD from computer A will most likely not boot in computer B anyway unless the mobo and other hardware is nearly identical. My suggestion would be to set the drive in computer B to master, the one from computer A to slave, then boot the computer and see if you can read the data form it.

easy..

sata_hard_drive_connectors_jumpers_2.jpg

read ur HD.. it probably tells you where to put the Jumpers for Slave or Master.. then pull it out and put it accordingly.. usually from the HD's i'm used to.. teh Master is at the end.. like on that pic..

that pic is wrong btw.. its that white thing.. not the red one.. my bad..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom