Can't get to 3.6Ghz with Q6600 G0

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah I have a Q6600 which I'm going to overclock. However I know I'll need a little help then. Not a clue what I should do. Links tuts or something.

All chips are different, its completely possible that i just got a better chip than yours thus you have to push more voltage to get it stable at 3.6.

People don't seem to understand, that just because some dude over there got a clock of uber 3.6 Ghz or more, that they will as well, and if they don't there must be something wrong..

I've been folding everyday for a couple weeks now. I'm already folding for team tech-forums. I think I have 7 or 8 WU's finished.

By the way, I just got over 14k on 3DMark06. Pushed the quad to 3.15. Amazingly, temps during the test stayed well within the Q6600's limit, generally hovering around the mid sixties. It hit 71 after a few minutes in Orthos though, so I had to abort that. I can't wait to get a 120 extreme for this monster :)

I'm Gonna go post my results in the 3DMark thread right now then put this back at 3.81 GHz, which will usually keep it no higher than 55C while folding, gaming, etc.

wow overclocking your 8800 GTX really boosts your score, I'm with a stock 8800 GTX and a q6600 at 3.0 ghz at stock voltage and I got a 12,651. May I ask how you went about overclocking your 8800 GTX? Did you try the artifact test in ATI tool and how long did you run that for if so?

People don't seem to understand, that just because some dude over there got a clock of uber 3.6 Ghz or more, that they will as well, and if they don't there must be something wrong..

I'm with you... people don't understand that... 3.4ghz is still a great overclock.. beats out a qx6850.. LIVE WITH IT

wow overclocking your 8800 GTX really boosts your score, I'm with a stock 8800 GTX and a q6600 at 3.0 ghz at stock voltage and I got a 12,651. May I ask how you went about overclocking your 8800 GTX? Did you try the artifact test in ATI tool and how long did you run that for if so?

I used RivaTuner. I believe the stock settings for a GTX are 575/900, right? If so then I'm pretty sure I Upped the settings to 600/950, tested it in 3DMark06, if it passed the benchmark I knew it was stable. I thien continued upping each clock by 15 MHz and retesting until it crashed at 670/1060. I suppose I could go higher but I don't want to do a voltmod.

I did try the artifact test in ATI Tool and there were no artifacts at my current overclock. I also tried to use ATI Tool to find the max core/mem clock but when my computer froze during the test I figured, screw this I'm going back to RivaTuner.

I'm with you... people don't understand that... 3.4ghz is still a great overclock.. beats out a qx6850.. LIVE WITH IT

Well I know I'd be ticked if I couldn't at least get mine to 3.6 too. I mean if it can survive 3.15 temporarily on stock cooling, then there is no excuse that it shouldn't be able to get to at least 3.6 on an after market cooler like the 120 extreme for example.

Some people, like me, like to push things to the max when possible, and take pride in having high-end components. Nothing's wrong with that.

Well I know I'd be ticked if I couldn't at least get mine to 3.6 too. I mean if it can survive 3.15 temporarily on stock cooling, then there is no excuse that it shouldn't be able to get to at least 3.6 on an after market cooler like the 120 extreme for example.

Some people, like me, like to push things to the max when possible, and take pride in having high-end components. Nothing's wrong with that.
Not all CPU's are the same, not every hardware setup is the same, you may, one day, must simply accept that you will never get to 3.6 Ghz SMP Stable no matter what you do..

I used RivaTuner. I believe the stock settings for a GTX are 575/900, right? If so then I'm pretty sure I Upped the settings to 600/950, tested it in 3DMark06, if it passed the benchmark I knew it was stable. I thien continued upping each clock by 15 MHz and retesting until it crashed at 670/1060. I suppose I could go higher but I don't want to do a voltmod.

I did try the artifact test in ATI Tool and there were no artifacts at my current overclock. I also tried to use ATI Tool to find the max core/mem clock but when my computer froze during the test I figured, screw this I'm going back to RivaTuner.

whats a voltmod? also were your idle/load temps noticable higher at the milder overclocks? ( im assuming they are at ur current high OC )

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom