Installation of Win. XP Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
okay...so i connected only the 40GB and i didn't put any jumpers in ( not that it would matter) and i get the same error here is the error i don't know ill just post the whole thing:

"A problem has been detected and Windows has been Shut down to prevent damage yo yours computer.

If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen,restart your computer. if this screen appears again follow these steps:

Check for viruses on your computer. Remove any newly installed hard drives or hard drive controllers. Check your hard drive to make sure it is properly configured and terminated.Run CHKDSK /F to check for hard drive corruption, and then restart your computer.

Technical information:
*** STOP: 0x0000007B (0xF78D2524, 0xC0000034, 0x00000000 , 0x00000000)"

dont know if it will help so my comclusion is that its not the problem with the harddrives i think its something else any ideas ?

The 40gb drive should have seen a jumper in case you tried it without one there. You would set the jumper according to the position on the cable itself. On a few older builds running two WD drives I often had to set the second drive to cable select in order for that to be seen in Windows on the first.

The idea there however is to see if Windows will go right on the 40gb while not the newer 160gb model. That will show if the drive is good or bad if you see XP run normally on the 40. Otherwise? You are looking at another problem.

okay i put the 160GB on master and the the 40GB on cable select...lets see wat i get...for some reason bios does not detect either of the drives..no Primary master or primary slave...and the windows xp install probobly going to give me the error...so wat should i try?

Try the 40gb alone set as master there to see if that shows up in the bios. That right there shows you have the jumpers set wrong, bad cable, or two bad drives if no problem is found with the bios or board itself. You always see the drives listed on the post screen when everything is working.

okay here this is how i set the jumper this is my 40GB with jumper to master, and it does not see it in bios...the other 160GB is unplugged so its just the 40GB and bios can not see it:

Besides the less likely sight of two bad drives the cable or ide socket on the board could be at fault. One idea would be to plug the optical drive into the primary cable to see if you can simply boot upto the recovery console with it plugged in there rather then on the secondary. If you see the failure to find boot device message come up when setting that as the first device in the bios you would have another problem ruling out the two HDs out.

Evrything now seems to point at the cable maybe second bad or a good look at the board itself. If you have another case lying around you could throw each drive in one at a time to see if they work there. The faster way would be simply plugging the 40 in as slave to the optical drive to see if it then works on the secondary channel.

lol...sry i jus noticed that the cable isnt plugged in fully in the board let me try the 40 as master by it self again..oaky bios detects the 40gb as master let me see now...what windows xp install will do.

Well like I mentioned earlier you have to double check things like that. A cable lifted up will cause problems. You will probably find that the 160 would also be readily seen. First try getting Windows on then add it in afterwards.

still getting the same error in the windows xp installation...bios can see the 40gb as primary ide master...dont know wats the problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom