CPU Voltage questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Heh, veeb. I was able to get 3.15ghz on stock voltage. Just remember that even though you are keeping the voltage stock, the temp WILL still go up. I say MEH to orthos stability. To get orthos stable at 3.6ghz i had to push over 1.4V which just brings the temps up entirely too high. Dont be afraid to push the chip, i've had mine hit over 80C while running 3dmark06 and had no problems. The q6600 is a tough little bugger.

If you can run through at least five SMP Work units at that speed, without any console errors or blue screens, then and only then would I be impressed..

Seriously, you people with quad cores better get folding...
I will hunt you down...
You think Im joking..
But Im Not.

Would you just look at our team stats. Its disgusting.
Tech-Forums - Team Summary - EXTREME Overclocking Folding @ Home Stats
Surely I cannot be in second place with my crappy C2D 6600..

SMP Folding is a better test of stability. Noone here seems to care though.. Sad..

SMP folding is a good test, but I get annoyed when I'm halfway through a WU and suddenly it crashes and my work is halted.

Orthos does a good job as well.

Anyway I suppose I better join the TF team

It does indeed suck to lose work units. But Id rather lose a work unit and then know my overclock was unstable than waste time on orthos or prime 95 where those programs do nothing to benefit humanity.

I have had worse, some months ago I had five work units in a row in which they all died at 91%.

well I have used the orthos 8hour test and it has worked for me in the past. Once it passes orthos I've never had any problem folding.

Also 1 thing about folding is that even though it's quite sensitive to instability/errors....it doesn't stress the CPU(s) enough to max out the temperature. Folding gets both my cores to about 49-51c while an orthos run does about 62-65c.

In my experience, I have been stable in some orthos tests but not folding on certain clocks and settings. And since SMP folding is the one program I try to run indefinitly, I said screw stress testing, now I just use folding itself.

And while orthos, prime 95 and other stress test programs raise the temp of the cpu more than SMP folding, I still hold SMP folding as the higher test, as it is ment to run much longer than any stress test program.

hey guys! my system hit to 3.2ghz ,ratio 1:1 and pass Orthos for 16hours ,but fail prime95-25.5 in 1 hours so do i realy need to pass prime95?

No, If one insists on using any one program to test for stability it would be SMP Folding.

Without using a testing program, So long as you can use the computer as your normally would without errors or blue screens its stable.

Heh, veeb. I was able to get 3.15ghz on stock voltage. Just remember that even though you are keeping the voltage stock, the temp WILL still go up. I say MEH to orthos stability. To get orthos stable at 3.6ghz i had to push over 1.4V which just brings the temps up entirely too high. Dont be afraid to push the chip, i've had mine hit over 80C while running 3dmark06 and had no problems. The q6600 is a tough little bugger.

when you went past 3.15 ghz what did u chsnge the voltage too? Can anyone give me increments if I do need to up the voltage?

Also does anyone know how to get orthos to test all 4 cores on a q6600. opening a 2nd instance doesnt seem to work

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom