Bought my laptop, now waiting for delivery...

Status
Not open for further replies.

C0RR0SIVE

Golden Master
I finally ordered the laptop, I decided to go with the Dell Vostro 1500. They are currently building it, and it will be delivered sometime the first week of December. Got the 1.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB of DDR2 ram, an Nvidia 8600M GT with 256MB of dedicated ram.... Overall I think it will be a nice laptop, I just hope the processor is decent, the only thing that will slow me down is the 5400RPM hard drive... Could have gotten a 7200 but I didn't want to go over $800 with the shipping. So what do you guys think of my decision? And anyone know how that processor will perform compared to some others?

you should have upgraded the cpu.
1.4 is waaay to slow.
you should have gotten atleast 1.8 or 2.0, but other than that it should be fine.
Dont worry about the hdd speed, a lot of laptop hdds have that speed.

I got the 1.4Ghz because they wanted ~300 extra for the freaking 1.8Ghz.... That I was NOT about to do, total waist of money there, be easier to crack it open and plop a newer c2d into it you ask me...

I got the 1.4Ghz because they wanted ~300 extra for the freaking 1.8Ghz.... That I was NOT about to do, total waist of money there, be easier to crack it open and plop a newer c2d into it you ask me...

are you sure you can do that?
ive never heard of upgrading cpus in lappys...i maybe wrong though.

Hey, kind of off topic but do the different laptop processors make a big difference from 1.8 ghz to 2 ghz to 2.2ghz? Pros? Cons? How much of a performance increase does the laptop get as I increase the ghz?

well a 200mhz wont make much difference.
Ive oc my e6550 from 2.33 to 3.2 ghz and theres a big differnce there.
Boots faster, applications work faster..
cons: umm, more heat? need better cooling.

But tahts for desktops, not sure about laptops, infact i dont think you can oc cpus on laptops.

i guess if you do like a barebones setup from MSI which i believe you can, then you could oc it, but laptops usually have bad airflow so it wouldn't make sense.

You can upgrade the processor on dell laptops, as long as there not soldered in, and as long as the BIOS and motherboard supports it. But you should never overclock or attempt to overclock a laptop, they aren't very efficient at cooling...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom