In Runtime
I don't know what to do. I'm flat out of ideas. This is my setup for 3.4GHz:
Multi: 9x
FSB: 378
DDR2 Volt: +2.00
DDR2 Overvolt: +0.2
FSB Overvolt: +0.1
RAM: Auto (currently 5-5-5-15)
CPU Volt: 1.37500 (used to be 1.35000v but that crashed in 3ds06)

So, I just kept upping the voltage bit by bit originally leaving everything the same except of course changing the FSB to 400. I couldn't even get the PC to the Windows login without finally getting it to 1.40625v and I was able to login. Definitely wasn't stable though. I really didn't want to touch 1.41250v or higher because that's just too much.

So, I thought I'd mess with some of the settings. I changed the FSB and mutli up a bit. I was able to get to the Windows login with an 8x multiplier and a FSB of 450 at 1.40000v but that wasn't stable either. I feel like there is some wall I can't overcome. My temperatures are still great though, my idle temps when I booted 9x400 with a 1.40625v was 38-40 Celsius.

Anyways, any ideas?

I don't know what to do. I'm flat out of ideas. This is my setup for 3.4GHz:
Multi: 9x
FSB: 378
DDR2 Volt: +2.00
DDR2 Overvolt: +0.2
FSB Overvolt: +0.1
RAM: Auto (currently 5-5-5-15)
CPU Volt: 1.37500 (used to be 1.35000v but that crashed in 3ds06)

So, I just kept upping the voltage bit by bit originally leaving everything the same except of course changing the FSB to 400. I couldn't even get the PC to the Windows login without finally getting it to 1.40625v and I was able to login. Definitely wasn't stable though. I really didn't want to touch 1.41250v or higher because that's just too much.

So, I thought I'd mess with some of the settings. I changed the FSB and mutli up a bit. I was able to get to the Windows login with an 8x multiplier and a FSB of 450 at 1.40000v but that wasn't stable either. I feel like there is some wall I can't overcome. My temperatures are still great though, my idle temps when I booted 9x400 with a 1.40625v was 38-40 Celsius.

Anyways, any ideas?

Whats your Ram multiplier number? Maybe your overclocking your ram to a mhz that it cant handle. BTW you should always do a 8 hour Orthos test for stability. A non-stable overclock isn't really an overclock at all...I mean heck whos going to want to use a non-stable computer.

BTW what are your idle and load temps in coretemp?

Oh, I made a mistake. When I said "DDR2 volt" I meant RAM multiplier. I only set it at +2.0 so it equals 800mhz so its a 1:1 ratio with the CPU. Right? 400 FSB x 2.0 RAM multi = 800MHz. Any other ideas?

- on a side note -
I don't know if I agree that a non-Orthos stable computer isn't stable at all. If the computer is able to handle all the things I throw at it, it should be fine. As long as it doesn't crash during my games or anything, I'm happy. Which is why I used to run 3.4GHz at 1.35v and had to up it to 1.375v to run 3ds06 just because I wanted a score. But I haven't had a crash playing WoW, CoD4, or Crysis at 1.35v. I multitask all the time as well with Ventrilo, MSN messenger, iTunes, and Firefox while I play these games. Anyways, just a difference of opinion. Obviously if the computer can handle Orthos it can handle all of that, but the voltage needed to handle Orthos isn't necessarily the voltage needed for what I do. Which, of course, gives lower temps on idle and load since less power is being pushed into the processor.

Run Orthos or Prime overnight just to be on the safe side. or do some smp folding!

I actually had a similar board (DS3L) had pretty much the same overclocking options. Make sure C.I.A.2 is disabled and Robust Graphics Booster is Auto and Performance Enhance set to Standard. I've set my voltage to 1.5V to hit 3.0GHz but that was on an E2160 and my temps were acceptable, don't think this would be the case with a Q6600, but I've done a quick check on some other forums and people have been able to get 3.6GHz with 1.5-1.6v, but that just seems high to me, I'd see what other Q6600 owners have to say about voltage

A non-stable overclock isn't really an overclock at all...I mean heck whos going to want to use a non-stable computer.

I've always had a problem with comments like this.

Think about this: Orthos for 8hrs will max out your pc's resources. If it doesn't crash...well, awesome for you!
However, how can you determine that your system isn't stable just bcus it didn't handle 8hrs of Orthos?
What I'm trying to say is what if I leave my "unstable under orthos" oc #'s but my system never crashes while editing video or playing games? Is my pc still unstable?
It bothers me when you guys talk about orthos this and that, 8 hrs here and 12hrs there..and if it crashes suddenly it's not a true oc?
My system is at 3.4 24/7 and under orthos it does crash after about 1hr-2hrs. However, while editing my videos it has never crashed!

I doubt that many of you guys will ever stress your pc's to the max like Orthos does. So according to me, stable under normal usage(real world usage) is what counts.
While my system isn't 8hr orthos stable, it's stable enough to handle video editing and light gaming.
BTW, I'm using stock hsf 8^P

I've always had a problem with comments like this.

I have problems with statements like that too!
The most intense program that anyone would ever want to run indefinitly is SMP Folding. YET Everyone is always like, prime 95 this, orthos that blah blah. When the only purpose for those programs is to test an overclock, and they are not intended to run 24/7. SMP Folding is intended to run 24/7 and it is the single most intense program of its type. Now, fine, if you don't wanna use SMP Folding to test for stability, then DONT use orthos or prime 95 either!! Simply go about your normal routines. Play games, do whatever it is you normally do!. If thats all you want to do then test it DOING what you expect it to DO!. Its not hard people, any given settings being stable in orthos or prime 95 means jack, if your not going to be running those programs all the time.. So either use SMP Folding or go about your normal routines for testing..

OH and, it is very ignorant to assume you will get a 3.6 Ghz out of your Q6600. Not all setups all the same, not evety G0 Stepping Q6600 is the same, if you can't get to 3.6 Ghz, then so what!! 3.4 Ghz is plenty.. Sure, a handfull of people have gotten it to 3.6 Ghz, but by no means does that mean everyone will.. Be happy with your clock now, you may never get it to 3.6 Ghz.

If your overclock can survive 3dmark06 its stable :p

Oh quick question, but what is the Vid# on your chip. Mine is 1.2v, I got pretty lucky on my chip. Ive actually be able to boot and complete 3dmark06 at as high as 3.8ghz. I'm going to go for 4ghz after i lap my TRUE.

If your overclock can survive 3dmark06 its stable :p

Thats not true at all. NOT At all.

When I had a clock of 3.41 Ghz and a Vcore of 1.55 I could run 3Dmark06 All day long, and I did, a few times.

But when I went to run SMP Folding and play games, blue screens and bad work units flowed forth..

Sure, it "may" be true for your particular hardware setup and settings, but it is certainly not true for everyone..

It was a joke. My 3.8ghz run was by no means stable, but it did yield me a 19k 3dmark score. Thus the :p at the end. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom