CPU Voltage questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any Progress.

Well I'm at 2.88 ghz ( Riznarf told me to keep bumping it up slow by 5 mhz ). I usually run 3d benchmark2006 and a quick Orthos 30 minute CPU priority 10 test. My final plans are to stop at 320 mhz x 9 = 3.0 ghz, with a multiplier of 2.5 which will get me to 800 with a 4:5 ratio. Temps seem unaffected and I'm still at stock voltage.

That one guy back in the high CPU forum zone claimed people are getting to 3.6 ghz on stock voltage, I think thats a load of crock. Veebufreak got to 3.6 with 1.35V voltage but he can't get stable Orthos overclocks and frankly I want my computer stable enough to do a 8 hour Orthos blend test priorty 10. I plan to do it when I finally get to 3.0 Ghz.

Any recommendations on if I do start changing to voltage? ( some have hinted I may be unable to boot at 3.0 Ghz at stock voltage, but then again you said people have reached 3.2 Ghz with lower voltage? )

Quick question: I disabled EIST Function so I could see my current clocks in CPUZ without getting confused but its still lowering the multiplier to x6 at times, is C1E responsible for this?

make sure to disable EIST as well as c1e.

Also I don;t understand why people do this slow kind of overclocking.

I usually choose the max voltage that I would be comfortable with running 24/7 100% load...I.E 1.5v.....then I just make a massive jump to like 3.6ghz or something...if it boots and I get into windows I do an orthos run. If it doesn't fail then I raise the FSB a bit....if it does fail then I just knock down the fsb a little, and keep doing it until orthos is stable.

Then i bring down my vcore 1 notch at a time and orthos test it to see how much I can bring the vcore down without losing stability. I can usually find the preliminary (pre-8hour orthos) max overclock in as little an hour or so.

Bringing up the fsb 5 mhz at a time and orthos testing just seems incredibly slow and pointless to me.

make sure to disable EIST as well as c1e.

Also I don;t understand why people do this slow kind of overclocking.

I usually choose the max voltage that I would be comfortable with running 24/7 100% load...I.E 1.5v.....then I just make a massive jump to like 3.6ghz or something...if it boots and I get into windows I do an orthos run. If it doesn't fail then I raise the FSB a bit....if it does fail then I just knock down the fsb a little, and keep doing it until orthos is stable.

Then i bring down my vcore 1 notch at a time and orthos test it to see how much I can bring the vcore down without losing stability. I can usually find the preliminary (pre-8hour orthos) max overclock in as little an hour or so.

Bringing up the fsb 5 mhz at a time and orthos testing just seems incredibly slow and pointless to me.

Well because cautious people like myself don't wish to change the vcore since it will add heat and reduce the chips lifespan. I want to see how far I can get on stock voltage. Just wondering what kind of Orthos test do you do and how long and at what priority?

Well because cautious people like myself don't wish to change the vcore since it will add heat and reduce the chips lifespan. I want to see how far I can get on stock voltage. Just wondering what kind of Orthos test do you do and how long and at what priority?

I have been overclocking for years and have never had a chip die from heat or voltage. And these days it's practically impossible to kill a chip that way.

anyway I run orthos for about 30 min to see if it's stable...if it is I'll lower the vcore and run it again.

Once i get a clock I *think* is stable I will do a final real orthos test for about 8-12 hours

Heh, veeb. I was able to get 3.15ghz on stock voltage. Just remember that even though you are keeping the voltage stock, the temp WILL still go up. I say MEH to orthos stability. To get orthos stable at 3.6ghz i had to push over 1.4V which just brings the temps up entirely too high. Dont be afraid to push the chip, i've had mine hit over 80C while running 3dmark06 and had no problems. The q6600 is a tough little bugger.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom