Anyone use 1080i as their screen reso?

Status
Not open for further replies.
didnt know 480p existed?!

wikipedia!

700px-Common_Video_Resolutions.svg.png

To compare 1080i and 1080p, it is important to compare frame-rates. Due to interlacing, 1080i has twice the frame-rate but half the resolution of a 1080p signal using the same bandwidth, although, also due to interlacing, 1080i looks to be the same resolution, although with more flicker. Faster frame-rates are especially useful in sports shows and other shows with fast-moving action. However, on some flat screens that do not support interlacing, this instead becomes smeared or jarred artifacts.

so summing it up.... the i versions seems like knock off's of p's .. hahaha

yes, 1080i is a knockoff of 1080p. but thats why it was created. We didnt have the technology 3-4 yrs ago for 1080p. but everyone wanted high def, so they screwed around and created 1080i. No, 1080i isnt what you would consider a normal resolution, because it is interlaced, not progressive.

Movies and games you play/watch are all recorded in 1080i, and thats what a high def screen will display. The newer DVD players and some receivers can upconvert these images to 1080P, if you have a 1080p capable tv, which i dont.

In the ATI catalyst menu there are options to add 1080i and 1080p, i've experimented with the 1080i options but they dont work.

I remember reading on a forum somewhere, i thought it was here, that someone was displaying 1080i on his TV which he was using as a monitor. Was hoping someone else tried it.

edit:
for those who are curious, 480p=standard tube Tv resolutions
520p/520i = resolutions the first big screen tv's used and most early DVD's
720p/1080i= what was first considered high def 2-3yrs ago
1080p= true high def, current ring champion

46" Samsung 1080p.. yeh baby.. now saving for a PS3 to compliment it.

when you got Full HD media going on 1080p its just.. beautiful :D

You wont notice much of a diff between 1080i and 1080p unless your screen size is bigger the 60". pwned!! :p

But the PS3 will look amazing on it none the less

i believe standard def tv is actually 480i/p, with regular broadcasting via cable or antenna or whatever it may be displayed in 480i, and standard dvd's playing in 480p. 576i/p i was under the impression was the standard tv signal in most countries other than the US. who uses 720i? don't really know anything that runs at the res when everything comes standard with 720p (if its an HDTV), as for 1080i/p they are both the same resoultion, just one is interlaced (displays odd number lines in first pass then even numbered lines in second pass) and one is progressive (displays all lines in sequential order in one pass).

i got a question. How do u count the lines of pixels to know what the exact resolution is? I mean, ppl already found out that Halo 3 displays 640p but upscaled to 720p, 1080i/p.

how can someone do this? I NEED TO KNOW!!!!

edit:
for those who are curious, 480p=standard tube Tv resolutions
520p/520i = resolutions the first big screen tv's used and most early DVD's
720p/1080i= what was first considered high def 2-3yrs ago
1080p= true high def, current ring champion

I was pretty sure that
standard tube TV is 480i
Enhanced is 480p/720i
High Dev is 720p/1080i/1080p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back