160 GB external reading at 137 GB

Status
Not open for further replies.

rockoe

Beta member
I bought a hard drive enclosure and a hard drive, insted of buying just an external hard drive. It still works like an exteral hard drive, but it was just cheaper to buy them seperate.
The hard drive is 160 gb and it is only comming in at 137 gb, something about full disk compacity, but since it does not run through ISO and it runs through USB, I do not know how to make it full disk compacity. I tried to download drivers for the enclosure but I can't find the website for it. I bought it off of ebay, here is the auction
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=41911&item=5109198828
If you know what company that is from and you know a place to download drivers for it, please help me. Thanks.

I tried to download it from Windows Update, but it never works. I tried one more time to see what it would say and it saids:

The Product Key used to install Windows is invaild. PLease contact your system administrator or retailer immediately to obtain a valid Product Key. You may also contact Microsoft Corporation's Anti-Piracy Team by emailing piracy@microsoft.com if you think you have purchased pirated Microsoft software. Please be assured that any personal information you send to the Microsoft Anti-Piracy Team will be kept in strict confidence.

I know I do not have a pirated version of windows

If you can't get it to full, just partition it. Windowss is limited in HDD size. By partitioning it you will regain your lost storage area. It's probably the simplest way to do it.

zerozero said:
If you can't get it to full, just partition it. Windowss is limited in HDD size. By partitioning it you will regain your lost storage area. It's probably the simplest way to do it.

Actually, this is not true. The largest hard drive a Windows XP without SP1 installation can recognize is 137GB, no matter how you partition it. Believe me, I've experimented with that.

beedubaya said:
Actually, this is not true. The largest hard drive a Windows XP without SP1 installation can recognize is 137GB, no matter how you partition it. Believe me, I've experimented with that.

Horsesh*t. It has nothing to do with windows, the service pack, or bill gates.

I've been using an internal 200 GB IDE hard drive with no problems. (W2K - OS).

The 137 GB limitation is not a windows error or issue. It's a BIOS issue. Some older MB have an older chipset & BIOS that limits the maximum size HDD you can use. In my Dell system, my BIOS had the same problem when installing my 200 gigger... The only solution in that case is to use a PCI IDE controller card.

Partitioning that hard drive as 137 GB and 23 GB will NOT work. The BIOS needs to see the actual number of heads/cyclinder/sectors when determining full capacity of the HDD.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom