Memory Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

tedmp0816

Banned
Hi,

I had 2 GB of DDR2 800 RAM (2 sticks of 1GB) in my system that I built. I decided to upgrade to have 4 GB. I bought the same exact RAM, same everything. I put all the RAM in but my computer only notices 3GB. Something is up, and it isn't the motherboard or the RAM. I have a ASUS P5B-E by the way. I know that those aren't the issue, because this is what I did:

I put in one stick at a time from left to right and everything worked until I put the last one, all the way to the right. So, I took a stick from my dad that I knew worked(we have the same exact RAM), and it still didn't work. So I thought it was the RAM port or whatever on the motherboard, but when I took the 3 from the left out and kept the one in that supposedly didn't work, it worked. So now I put them in one at a time from the left to the right, and the same thing happens. No matter whic one or where I put the last stick in, my computer always sees only 3GB of RAM. I know I am putting them in right too, because I have done this many times before, and I repeated taking them out and in.

I don't know what to do here, my motherboard supports 8GB. Could it be that it does see 4GB,but only says 3GB. Any help would be good, thanks. Also, sorry if I have a lot of errors, I am kind of in a hurry.

Wow, sorry for double posting but wtf is all I have to say, I just read this in small print from the manual:

If you install four 1GB memory modules, the system may detect less than 3GB of total memory because of address space allocation for other critical functions. This limitation applies to Windows XP 32-bit version operating system since it does not support PAE mode.

If you install Windows XP 32-bit verison operating system, we recommend that you install less than 3GB of total memory.

OK WTF, support 8GB my ***, did I just waste money? How is this going to work? Is the 2 modules I got going to work in dual channel as 512 MB each or what? God I hate this.

You'll need to install a 64 bit OS (you can upgrade to Vista 64bit) if you want to able to use up to 8GB.

Oh, I didn't know that. How is XP 64? Is it better than I remember it being, with not much software written for 64 bit programs. Also I was wondering, what is going on with that extra 2 GB I added? Is it oging to act as a single stick 1 GB, or dual channel 512 MB? Should I just levae them in there or will I get better performance without them if it wont be in dual channel?

As long as your comp isnt having a siezure from the RAM it should be just fine if you leave it in there. XP can only use 3gb of the 4 but leaving the RAM in there wont hurt nothin. No idea if it will be faster with just 3 in it... You'll have to test that yourself! If your comp is fast enough and you're ready to take the big leap you could upgrade the OS but personally i wouldnt(linux/2000 pro dual boot all the way!) otherwise just stick with the 3. Unless you use like photoshop and all other sorts of high RAM using programs at the same time. If you really are mad that you blew the money then go ahead and upgrade some more! but vista aint exactly gonna speed things up for ya

Yeah my system can, it's just i keep hearing vista having all these bugs.

-8800 GTX
-E6600 Core 2 Duo @2.4GHz
-4 errr... 3 GB RAM
-Asus P5B-E Mobo

What if went with Windows 64 bit? Could I then use the 4 sticks? The wierd thing too is when I put in 4 sticks of RAM into my dad's PC, it shows up in the BIOS. It does crash at Windows though.

It doesnt have anything to do with XP or Vista. ITs because its only a 32bit OS. You have to switch to 64 bit to recognize all 4gb of ram. Does all 4gb show up in your bios? It should, also remember that the 768mb of memory on your video card also count against the amount of memory XP 32 can handle. When i was running my GTS 320, windows saw 3.5gb of my 4gb, when i changed over to my dual GT 512 setup, windows only saw 2.5gb of the memory.

Ya, I know it's because you have to get a 64 bit OS, but why get xp 64 when Vista 64 is out. You're going to have to upgrade to it later anyways. Plus you have a DX10 card. Minus well utilize it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom