2 Phenom reviews

Status
Not open for further replies.
i kinda got yelled at too, cant remember for what though!!!
i've just stayed out of flaming threads now...enough infractions

heh me too ive just been calm. he assured me i wasn't the evil fanboy i thought i was, only someone with an opinion. i am much more pleasant now.

as far as mobo's:
yeah i know what ya mean apok, hard for me to give up my 590.
you know why i didnt buy the foxconn?
cos i didnt want to type all those numbers out when i mentioned it in threads lol.
j.k.
MSI i am liking too. probably will look closer at that one, hopefully some tests soon.
doesnt gigabyte make rippin intel mobos though?

since we r talking about Phenom still i just want to post 4 parts i want for Christmas, which my parents might get just to get my computer up n running n the rest i will pay.

this is the Patriot, 4-4-4-12. I was thinking of OCing it to 1066 standard, but idk if i can do that with these. If i get the 5-5-5-12, which is cheaper, would this be a wiser choice to OC that? I mean, 4-4-4-12 at 1066 even possible with 5-5-5-12 RAM or 4-4-4-12?:
Newegg.com - Patriot Extreme Performance 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Retail

GIGABYTE AM2+ 790X, perfect for me, just wish that one PCI-E slot was moved to the orange PCI-E x16 slot, then this would be perfect. Until then, im gonna get this:
Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-DS4 AM2+/AM2 AMD 790X ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail

Windows Vista Ultimate - full version:
Newegg.com - Microsoft Windows Vista Ultimate DVD - Retail

Phenom 9700, if it's ready buy Christmas.

n lastly before the HD 3870 x2, which i will buy myself when it comes out.

IF the Phenom 9700 doesnt make it by Christmas, which is less likely, then ill ask for the money to get the stuff myself.

any help on my choice of RAM? I just want to reach 1066 by OCing is all. I love the RAM i picked out becaue of the price + rebate (yes!!!!).

gurusan got some SICK overclocks out of crucial ballistix 667. his voltage was high, but they were clocked at 690mhz. i think he said he ran them at like 2.15V and got 1025mhz @ 4-4-4-12-2T.
so, if the ddr2 800 overclocks as well as the 667 of gurusan i would suppose they will have NO trouble reaching ddr2 1066 speed.
dude 690mhz...SICK.
any decent set of ddr2 800 overclocking ram should be able to make it to 1066.

heh me too ive just been calm. he assured me i wasn't the evil fanboy i thought i was, only someone with an opinion. i am much more pleasant now.

as far as mobo's:
yeah i know what ya mean apok, hard for me to give up my 590.
you know why i didnt buy the foxconn?
cos i didnt want to type all those numbers out when i mentioned it in threads lol.
j.k.
MSI i am liking too. probably will look closer at that one, hopefully some tests soon.
doesnt gigabyte make rippin intel mobos though?
Gigabyte have really only made average AMD boards though. But their 790FX board is better though.
One of the things the gigabyte 790FX board lacks, apart from a larger amount of PCI-E slots, is SATA ports. It only has four internal SATA ports.

For overclocking, it's descent. Mainly because of the 790FX chipset. but MSI's K9A2 Platinum seems to be the best 790FX board so far.
*edit*
actually, the DQ6 version of the Gigabyte 790FX board has 4xPCI-E 16X slots, but they're not spaced out for dual slot video cards.
And the MSI board has an extra PCI-E 1X slot
the DQ6 also has 6x SATA ports, but two of them are in an awkward position

*edit*
and I like the MSI board's colour (black)

gurusan got some SICK overclocks out of crucial ballistix 667. his voltage was high, but they were clocked at 690mhz. i think he said he ran them at like 2.15V and got 1025mhz @ 4-4-4-12-2T.
so, if the ddr2 800 overclocks as well as the 667 of gurusan i would suppose they will have NO trouble reaching ddr2 1066 speed.
dude 690mhz...SICK.
any decent set of ddr2 800 overclocking ram should be able to make it to 1066.

heh those weren't my overclocks. No way I would push 2.45v through my Ballistix

I have pushed mine to 1200mhz 2.25v no problem though

Gigabyte have really only made average AMD boards though. But their 790FX board is better though.
One of the things the gigabyte 790FX board lacks, apart from a larger amount of PCI-E slots, is SATA ports. It only has four internal SATA ports.

For overclocking, it's descent. Mainly because of the 790FX chipset. but MSI's K9A2 Platinum seems to be the best 790FX board so far.
*edit*
actually, the DQ6 version of the Gigabyte 790FX board has 4xPCI-E 16X slots, but they're not spaced out for dual slot video cards.
And the MSI board has an extra PCI-E 1X slot
the DQ6 also has 6x SATA ports, but two of them are in an awkward position

*edit*
and I like the MSI board's colour (black)

hmm well isnt the 790X the same as 790FX but no support of Crossfire X?

like i said, im gonna stick the mobo i have finally chosen until i see a better one now until Christmas or so.

ive seen people saying this is only one benchmark and you cant base everything on it, yet when the 8800gt came out thats exactly what everyone did straight away.

those am2+ are very good priced. which could overall change the price of the phenoms. since x38 chipset is expensive right now

ya, no joke.. when its good news, its always "lets jump to conclusions"

and now that it was bad.. lets think of everything that could have made it.. or make it worse

happened to the 2900.. and look.. it still sucks

either way i think it is fair to say amd has produced a good cpu in terms of performance something similar to the x2's era. although they are not as good as intels atm they are still worth looking at.

ya, no joke.. when its good news, its always "lets jump to conclusions"

and now that it was bad.. lets think of everything that could have made it.. or make it worse

happened to the 2900.. and look.. it still sucks
2900 doesn't suck.

It has an issue with anti-aliasing, and it consumes a bit more power than it probably should. But it's still a fast card, which broke the 3dmark06 record a few times.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom