upgrading a laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.

ajkiwi88

Beta member
ok so i have outgrown my laptop :-( and dont have enough money to buy a new one so after upgrading it
i have the following:

CPU Type Mobile AMD Sempron LV, 1800 MHz (9 x 200) 3100+

Module Size 512 MB (2 ranks, 4 banks)

Memory Type DDR SDRAM

Timmings @ 166 MHz 2.5-3-3-7 (CL-RCD-RP-RAS)

its a hp pavillion dv5000
how much ram is it worth putting into it and also is it possible to get a faster version of this cpu as cannot even find it in and shops near me :eek:

many thanks
andy

Most of the time I hear on here that 2GB is a good amount and more is usually overkill.

I don't have much experience with laptops or desktop hardware for that matter. Good luck though.

You can upgrade only RAM in most laptops. Laptop hardware is not very standard, and most everything is integrated. You may be able to replace the CPU, but good luck finding a compatible one, and you'll have to tear the whole computer apart to change it. RAM is fairly easy to change, though, just pull the bottom panel off and swap the RAM sticks. 1GB is plenty, even for Vista, but a bit more can up the performance in high end software.

upgrading CPU will be little difficult, even if you manage to open the casing.

reason is that, laptop manufacturers design the heat sink according to thermal dissipation of the processor. if you believe, that your new processor is based on the same thermal dissipation as previous one. then go ahead, if slightly higher, then it will still work, but expect processor fan to run all the time. be sure. to keep the layer of the thermal compound as thin as possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom