2 Phenom reviews

Status
Not open for further replies.
hey, all he's getting at is that people who liked AMD stuck their necks out there BIG TIME with huge claims, big hype, worth-the-wait, blah blah blah... And in the end they were WRONG. To the victor go the spoils.

It's just a little bit of retaliation for the months of ridicule from the AMD-fan mods.

hey, all he's getting at is that people who liked AMD stuck their necks out there BIG TIME with huge claims, big hype, worth-the-wait, blah blah blah... And in the end they were WRONG. To the victor go the spoils.

It's just a little bit of retaliation for the months of ridicule from the AMD-fan mods.

the R600 all over again :p

hype hype hype....let-down

i know i know...i never ridiculed anyone about anything having to do with this though and the tone of it irritates me.
i have been thinking about what trotter and ste said about fanboyism and the uselesness of it. note i took down my AMD jihadi avatar. dont get me wrong, i am still an AMD fan thru and thru, but i am tired of my objectivity and optimism for AMD being mistaken for stupidity and/or blind alliegance (sp?) and or blind fanboyism to h*** witht the facts.
a little disappointing, yes.
but, i haven't started crying yet lol.
i wonder when they will iron out the translation lookaside buffer problem?
will this expedite the higher clocked parts?
will some of the 95/9600 chips clock past 2.4 or will they crash and burn?
so many questions....

the B2 revision (which is the one being reviewed) has a few bugs (including the lookaside buffer problem), but the B3 revision should fix them.

the higher-end Phenom's will come out using the B3 revision
It should be able to easily clock past 3GHZ, too

Well, i do believe intel is still aheaad.
When I was at the AMD/Microsoft Powertogetehr tour, the amd guy kept bashing on intel....when he shouldnt and be more professional.
I argued that intels newer 45nm processors would be really good and better than their current quads, so how will these phenoms compete...his reply " smaller dyes dont matter, all intel is trying to do is trick you into smaller everything, when it doesnt matter, our stuff will perform better, it is cheaper .

I dont see any of that being true as of now...

yeah i dont think that intel's performance lead is up for argument anymore. the depth and scope of it may be for awhile yet, especially in the low-budget arena (which isnt this topic so NVM). that guy was probably skeered of answering the question straightforward...like "the phenom wont complete neccessarily with intel's new quads, the benefit of phenom is that it performs close to the current quads from intel and will be more cost-effective". a little tact goes a long way. i like gurusan's point about the B3 revision in relation to the GO stepping from intel.
i tell ya one thing, i hope they get it right...i surely do.
i read today that the 95/9600 (B2) will be a coin toss as to wether they clock past 2.4 without problems. ie some will, some wont. i guess thats usually the case with new chips.
also, even as an AMD fan, i will be hard pressed to buy a quad core that likely will perform only marginally better than my 3600 (if that is indeed the case). im not averse to buying intel...ARRRGH lol...but when the time comes for me to upgrade to quad core i will weigh the benefits of buying an AMD quad that (hopefully) will perform well on my current mobo versus buying an intel quad and a new mobo. there will have to be a SIGNIFICANT savings (defined by the performance/cost aspect) and not a giant gap in performance for me to go with the AMD. we'll see.

The guys at exhibitions like those usually know nothing.

For example I went to the MPH06 last year and was asking questions about a twin turbo Ferarri 360 Modena....I asked why they chose a more innefficient twin turbo setup over a single turbo setup and he gave me the usual BS about how "2 is better than 1" :rolleyes: And then I asked how much boost it runs and he told me it runs 3.5bar....I totally Loled at that one and asked him what they had done to the engine to make it handle that much boost. He replied, "well it's a Ferrari, you pay for the best from the factory".

Riiight. Over 51 ****ing psi of boost on completely stock internals...because "it's a ferrari". Lol....out of that whole convention I think I only spoke with 2 actual engineers that knew what they were talking about and weren't just publicity dorks or salesmen.

yeah salesmen are like t*** on a boar, ya know? smart thing would be to put an engineer on the floor and let him explain why AMD is doing what they are doing. maybe they just got complacent and thought c2d wouldn't be the awesome chip that it is. i dunno. if the nehalem chip works as well as it probably will, it is going to be the REAL disaster for AMD if they cannot come up with an answer and put their engineers' noses to the grindstone or whatever they need to do. not too worried AT THE MOMENT...but they need to get on track and stop dropping subtle hints of performance and show some results. as an entuhsiast and an AMD fan i demand it lol! i know losing my business will put them down the toilet and all...but multiply me x 1 million and you have a problem. i will support them until they utterly fail, though. for now, i just see a setback. optimism.

well im glad i stuck with intel, ill be getting the q9450 when it comes out and that should be it for my upgrades...or so i hope i will be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom