8800GT 256MB review

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmm.. as I only game at 1280x1024 anyway.. do you think this would be a better choice for me than the 8800GT? Might save me a few bucks.

I have to ask. Sorry! What's AA and AF stand for?

antialiasing and anisotropic filtering

basically antialiasing gets rid of the jaggies and anisotropic filtering makes the textures look better.

If you want a more detailed explanation then look them up on wikipedia.org

Also in the majority of games, this GPU will be great for 1280x1024 WITH AA+AF. However, if I was buying a new GPU I don't think I would want to go below 512mb.....and I would probably choose a 512mb card over this as even stalker uses over 320mb of texture memory.

antialiasing and anisotropic filtering

basically antialiasing gets rid of the jaggies and anisotropic filtering makes the textures look better.

If you want a more detailed explanation then look them up on wikipedia.org

Also in the majority of games, this GPU will be great for 1280x1024 WITH AA+AF. However, if I was buying a new GPU I don't think I would want to go below 512mb.....and I would probably choose a 512mb card over this as even stalker uses over 320mb of texture memory.

har har, beat you to it

btw, it depends what you set the texture settings to. Most modern games at medium have some pretty crisp textures as it is. Just uppen and everything else and the game'll look fine. But yeah, if you're on a budget, the 256MB version is definitley worth it at almost $100 less.

I see, thanks guys! I'm going to be getting 2 8800GT and sli them together! Another question. Sorry if I'm kind of thread crapping here, but what's the difference between crossfire and sli?

Crossfire is ATI cards only. SLI invidia. And I guess crossfire has better performance scalling than sli. i.e. it works better.

I believe a couple weeks, at most... although when it comes out and when it will be available are two completely different things.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom