AMD "Spider" and the delay of Phenom 9700

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wildside

Hellfire!
DailyTech - AMD "Spider" Crawls Up the Water Spout

AMD delays Phenom 2.4 GHz due to TLB errata - The INQUIRER

both, even theinqurier say the 9700 is delayed so it must be true. I am very sadden about this n i guess i have no choice but to get the 9600 instead :(.

i know Apokalipse is upset. I'm sure some of u r upset but hey, at least AMD did pull an Intel:

"In a weird deja-vu, it turns out that the company found an errata in the TLB (Transition Lookaside Buffer), just like Intel did earlier this year with complete Core marchitecture. However, unlike Intel, that has a micro-code update function in all of its CPUs, AMD is forced to delay the introduction of the part."

---quoted from theinquirer (idk how to quote like b1gapl so i apologize)

OFF TOPIC:

btw, i was given an opportunity from my parents to chose 2-4 parts i believe to get my computer up n running again, so this means i cant game without a decent graphics card to use due to my choice to wait for the HD 3870 x2. Omg i am so relieved! However, this might be changed to only get SMB for Wii, 2 classic controllers, n 2 Wii points cards so idk what is going to happen tonight.

it's my bday today n so far the day has been boring lol. I did go to Best Buy n Circuit City to look at HDTVs n SMG for Wii but couldnt find the game :(.

oh great... lets hope they aren't as nearly bad as everything else named after spider.

like Line 6 spider amps

D:

come on ATI, kick Nvidias ***!

well.........think if it this way..........it was a last minute call n if they hadnt, then probably flaws would appear ONLY on the 9700, so they need more work on it. It consumes 125w instead of 90w, so it has something up it's sleeve that the 9500 n 9600 cant do.

idk, just a guess.

This is the most important part:
"The Translation Lookaside Buffer (TLB) errata is an L3 protocol issue causing a system hang when running certain client workload applications independent of platform. AMD is immediately introducing an updated BIOS which will correct the TLB errata".

This problem was found during speed-binning the B2 revision processors, and this was the cause for the Phenom FX 3.0 GHz delay. It turns out that some CPUs running at 2.4 GHz or above in some benchmarking combinations, while all four cores are running at 100% load, can cause a system freeze.

While benchmark software vendors had some problems detecting how new memory controller work - both SiSoft Sandra XII and Everest 4.20 were returning single-channel results, regardless of memory controller being used in SC/DC, dual-72-bit or 144-bit- we are still shocked to learn of this situation, that will end up with dire consequences for AMD's management.

AMD already issued a fix to all of its motherboard/system partners, so if you already own a 790FX motherboard or plan to buy a Phenom system, make sure to update the BIOS.
If I get a new motherboard, it'll most likely be the MSI K9A2 Platinum. So it looks like I'll need to find a BIOS update for it if I get it.

well.........think if it this way..........it was a last minute call n if they hadnt, then probably flaws would appear ONLY on the 9700, so they need more work on it. It consumes 125w instead of 90w, so it has something up it's sleeve that the 9500 n 9600 cant do.

idk, just a guess.

i agree i think there must be sumthing different about the 9700 otherwise why the delay? it would basically be just the same but higher clocks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom