The Vista Death Watch

Status
Not open for further replies.
Like a resource-hogging GUI and animations? useless and annoying services?
Xp's default asthetic-oriented display settings are also things that I find depleting of resources, so I turn them off. I agree that vista's is magnified many, many times but you can disable this stuff...

I installed a new driver for my 8800, and my framerate dropped from 70 to 40. So I installed the previous drivers.
Wouldn't that be nvidia's fault?

the comparrisons between DX10 and DX9 look rather superb
The testing/comparing I've seen of DX10 and 9 are completely the opposite. Yeah, they are early, but honestly 10 didn't look a whole lot better than 9 and ran terribly compared to 9. I'd wait until there are many games that are using 10 and actually run decent.

Xp's default asthetic-oriented display settings are also things that I find depleting of resources, so I turn them off. I agree that vista's is magnified many, many times but you can disable this stuff...
When I disabled many services and themes in Vista, it was still slower than XP with themes on.

Wouldn't that be nvidia's fault?
Yes. But it's an example of how you can make something faster by having more efficient code.

The testing/comparing I've seen of DX10 and 9 are completely the opposite. Yeah, they are early, but honestly 10 didn't look a whole lot better than 9 and ran terribly compared to 9. I'd wait until there are many games that are using 10 and actually run decent.
And I'd like DirectX 10 to be available for XP.

Apokalipse I think you are wasting your time explaining this to forrestcupp. you address the issue before he posted, yet his still posted an issue that you have already addressed. he didn't hear (actually read) one word that you said.

Some people only think that Vista is crap because that's what they hear people say. Then they go into it with negative preconceived ideas and they start saying Vista is crap and it adds to the snowball effect. If the press would have started off saying how great Vista is, that's what everyone would have believed and they would have gone into it expecting to be pleased and people would like Vista.

The people that complain that Vista isn't different are the same ones that complain that Vista is too different to run XP software. Which one is it, folks? If you want a major OS update, you have to expect to have to break away from the past and make some changes.

he think that the media is behind this. he can't grasp the fact that people had actually bought the computer and or vista software, that they had actually hooked it up and that they had used the software and they just didn't like it.

no this is a conspiracy by the government to shut down vista in his eyes

He missed this here too.

vista is based off xp. it's a fairly simple matter for an os to check to see if it installing software from a wrong os. shoot sony's software and hardware drivers and programs will always check to see if the computer is a sony computer. if it ain't it won't install.

but you can backdoor vista driver install by heading to the xp inf file. if the inf file is xp based, the driver will install because vista is xp based. ask anybody that works with code. they will tell you that vista is xp.

vista is xp because it was rushed. longhorn didn't work, winfs didn't work (why don't ms buy copernic's services). their biggest problem with longhorn (which was actually different from xp) was everything leaked too much memory. by ms being pressed to release it, they had to released something that worked. they did. xp again

he is too bias toward vista, so these valid points toward vista are falling on deaf ears.

I will now stop posting link here anytime I find info on how people are using the computer to spy on us. I getting tired of being questioned about this (people say where "the proof or evidence". they say "I've haven't seen it")

they have been using these tactics for years and it's worse now since homeland security laws voided the constitution. most people are unaware such activity even exist. vista is worse than xp and ms has employed better up to date in house spyware.

Good Guys Wear Black - News and Analysis by PC Magazine

Federal law enforcement is using spyware to catch criminals.

by John Brandon

Are hackers the only ones using spyware? It turns out that government agencies, including the FBI, also use small executable programs to catch criminals and spy on other governments. According to a Wired News report by former hacker Kevin Poulsen, the FBI used a malware client called CIPAV to track the Internet activity of a Seattle student who was making bomb threats. The student likely downloaded the malware when he visited his own MySpace page.

According to Jennifer Granick, civil liberties director at the Electronic Frontier Foundation (EFF), the FBI probably has arrangements with antispyware companies such as Symantec and Microsoft that allow them to bypass spyware blockers and take advantage of browser exploits. Such malware can capture IP addresses and Web browser history, as well as record keystrokes. Installing the malware client is legal if the FBI has a warrant and can prove suspicious activity.

"Our investigative methods utilized in conjunction with court-authorized surveillance orders are lawful and effective," says Paul Bresson, an FBI spokesperson. "They are subject to rigorous review and oversight within the Department of Justice and within the courts where such evidence is introduced."

According to a CNET News survey, 13 leading antispyware vendors said they do not help the feds use spyware on suspects. Some vendors indicated, however, that if they were under court-ordered secrecy, they would not alert customers to the presence of such federal malware. And in an interesting bit of irony, the U.S. House of Representatives in May passed the I-SPY Prevention Act, placing stricter penalties (including up to five years in prison) on those who are caught using spyware to gain personal information. The law includes a provision exempting law enforcement and intelligence agencies.

In Europe, governments are also going on the offensive to prevent terrorist attacks by using spyware and other online means. The Boston Herald reported that Germany's interior minister, Wolfgang Schäuble, is seeking approval for the use of spyware to thwart terrorists. This came after German authorities were able to uncover and prevent a bomb plot that involved the Frankfurt airport and the U.S. military's Ramstein Air Base. In Sweden, the defense minister is pushing for a provision that would grant broad powers to the government to monitor e-mail without court orders.

Foreign governments have also used spyware clients to gather intelligence on one another, says Matt Sergeant, a senior antispam technologist at MessageLabs, although it's not clear who the culprits are: "We don't know if the Chinese government is using spyware, or if people use a Chinese IP address because it's very easy to get bulletproof [undetectable] hosting." Sergeant said some foreign governments use spyware, in addition, to monitor their own citizens' Web activity. And protecting your own privacy? The EFF suggests enabling your firewall and installing software that blocks spyware installs.

So basically what you're saying is "Use Linux, avoid criminal prosecution."? If so, I won't ever get caught by the FBI for anything, since I almost always browse the Web on Ubuntu. Plus reformatting your PC a lot would defeat the spyware too. I don't think that ANYONE should legally be allowed to use spyware, I don't care what they're trying to stop, your computer is yours and not home to the government's software. If there is such a deal between governments and anti-spyware companies, hopefully another group will write anti-government-spyware utilities to clean up the situation.

not very related but does any of you guys remember the aureal vortex soundcards when they were bought by creative and all the right for that technology was also bought and windows SP1 magically got rid of the drivers for those soundcards although they were still on the market. ( i still have one of those cards:)
i didnt even read the whole thread but as i remember it was exactly same with 98 and xp i mean you realise that by this time( about 6-7 years) most of us know practically every file in windows32 direcory for XP and now theres vista that just came out new and scary.
ye obviously microsoft is trying to make bank on it just like any other company( u see it in car manufacturers electronics manufacturers and jsut about any other) good old days of bullitproof products that might outlast you are gone.
every company is trying to make profit and whats the easiest way to do? is make product that has limited life expectancy... so did XP and vista is even worse... but doesnt mean its not a great os for its time. would any of you go back to windows 98 now? im sure as **** wont( i do have it on my dads old pc and i dont look forward to using it) but at the end of its life i did belive it or not dug thru every **** directory and modified everything i could sometimes manually.( but itsa dynasaur by today's standards)

from your point of view microsoft is pushing sales of vista on you but from microsoft's point of view maybe they are trying to speed up the development of their next OS by cutting out the XP completely so they dont have to waste the manpower to maintain outdated system even though it runs great.
because while were using pcs bought in 2000 or whatever they are developing software for future pcs and programming is not easy so i completely understand desire to make money

not very related but does any of you guys remember the aureal vortex soundcards when they were bought by creative and all the right for that technology was also bought and windows SP1 magically got rid of the drivers for those soundcards although they were still on the market. ( i still have one of those cards:)
i didnt even read the whole thread but as i remember it was exactly same with 98 and xp i mean you realise that by this time( about 6-7 years) most of us know practically every file in windows32 direcory for XP and now theres vista that just came out new and scary.
ye obviously microsoft is trying to make bank on it just like any other company( u see it in car manufacturers electronics manufacturers and jsut about any other) good old days of bullitproof products that might outlast you are gone.
every company is trying to make profit and whats the easiest way to do? is make product that has limited life expectancy... so did XP and vista is even worse... but doesnt mean its not a great os for its time. would any of you go back to windows 98 now? im sure as **** wont
Windows 98 was a very, very different situation.
For one, Windows 98 was and is very unstable. It's still dependent on DOS. It can't manage memory properly.
And it's very easy for files to become corrupt etc.

Windows 2000 and XP were much much more stable than 98, even on first release.
They did have some bugs, but were still overall significantly better OS's. Windows 2000 was the first mainstream OS Microsoft made that was independent from DOS, and windows XP was just built on Windows 2000 (which was already very stable)

The same is not true for Windows Vista. Vista was rushed, is buggy, and is not more stable than XP.

from your point of view microsoft is pushing sales of vista on you but from microsoft's point of view maybe they are trying to speed up the development of their next OS by cutting out the XP completely
No, that's not it at all. The reason they're selling Vista is to make money.
If everybody has XP, then whose going to buy it again?

They're not pushing Vista because they think it's better. It's not. They're pushing Vista so that they can continue to make more money.

so are businesses not supposed to make money? do you own a business? or you lookin at it from a consumer's point of view? its alot more complicated than just XP is the **** and VISTA is overpriced and underdeveloped. whose fault is it that we let ourselves get punked by microsoft or any other company?

so are businesses not supposed to make money? do you own a business? or you lookin at it from a consumer's point of view? its alot more complicated than just XP is the **** and VISTA is overpriced and underdeveloped. whose fault is it that we let ourselves get punked by microsoft or any other company?
You're not getting the point.

The point is, the Operating system (Vista) isn't actually better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom