Multiplyer vs FSB

Status
Not open for further replies.

heffer

In Runtime
If I wanted to overclock a core 2 quad with an unlocked multiplyer, should I increase the multiplyer or increase the front side bus? Which would be more stable and needs less voltage? And speaking of which, when it comes time to increasing the core voltage, what would be a recommended amount to incrementally increase by? 0.002? 0.005? 0.030? etc. And I'm not really sure but if my computer doesn't POST because the Voltage isn't high enough, will I still be able to enter the BIOS?

thx

If you have a cpu with a unlocked multiplier then just up the multiplier.

Increase the voltage just one increment at a time until you get an idea of what your cpu needs at certain speeds.

If you do get a no-post because of voltage issues then worst case is you have to resett the CMOS and start back at default BIOS settings

I would actually increase the FSB first then up the multi. It all depends on preference though. Some people prefer higher FSB and lower multis some prefer it vice versa. It depends on voltages too. If you have a good northbridge and good motherboard then you can take more voltage on the FSB. If not, you would probably want to change the multi. Your RAM will affect things too, so it's really just a trial and error type deal. Every build is different (even with the same components) so you will just have to mess with it.

Read your mobo manual to find out how to reset the CMOS in case of no POST. This will reset the BIOS so you can get in and reset things.

i usually prefer a higher FSB, as it will probably do more for your system in terms of speed than simply increasing the clock speed (multi). but there is that happy medium as well...

with the voltage just go up by one increment at a time (whatever your boards increments are), and i would probably say anything above 1.45v is too much. someone else might know a little more about voltage though. if your computer isn't stable all you will need to do is reset the CMOS there is probably 3 little prongs with a slide connector on it and you just need to switch the position. some boards just have a simple button now, just look in your mobo manual to find out how to reset CMOS.

Increasing the Multiplier only helps the CPU from what I understand, Increasing the FSB Helps push other system components besides sometimes the Multiplier is locked

sometimes in order to get the best results, you would lower the multi to push the fsb but c2d's will clock high enough anyway (the fsb will probably give before the clock will effect it). its really different for every system though.. you just need to play with it.

sometimes in order to get the best results, you would lower the multi to push the fsb but c2d's will clock high enough anyway (the fsb will probably give before the clock will effect it). its really different for every system though.. you just need to play with it.

i wonder if it will/is the same for the Phenoms............is this how to do it for all CPUs or just C2Ds?

well it just depends on how good of an oc'er the phenom is, c2d's are just really good oc'ers and i don't really expect the phenoms to be very big slackers either, i've heard pretty good success from them so far. AMD system's are a little different though and i don't know as much about them.

i wonder if it will/is the same for the Phenoms............is this how to do it for all CPUs or just C2Ds?
AMD's don't have an FSB. The memory controller is built into the processor. You have an HT instead. Overclocking AMD's is quite a bit different because of that architecture.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom