CPU Voltage questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gabb

gone
So I successfully got halfway through my overclocking, I'm currently at 2.79 ghz ( 310x9 ) up from the stock of 2.4 ghz ( 266 x 9 ). My memory multiplier is at 2.5 which means my ram is actually downclocked from 800 mhz to 775 mhz. My 3d Benchmark score is 12,475 up from 11,736 . My 8800 GTX is still stock settings. My temps really havent changed and its still idle 43-33 and at load 51-41.

Anyways I really doubt I could make it to 3.0 ghz at stock voltage like that one Veeb guy said and was wondering how much I should boost the CPU Vcore for stability reasons. The normal Vcore stock voltage for the q6600 is 1.2875. This overclocking guide
Gigabyte P965-XXX overclocking and BIOS tweaking Guide - [H]ard|Forum

suggests a mild overclocking voltage of 1.38 but I noticed that was even higher voltage then what Veeb had it at! 1.35 as well even seems way too high for 3.0 ghz so I was wondering what was a good number to bring it up to so it doesnt add too much heat but just add more stability.

Are you sure that a G0 Stepper?
Cause its clocking like crap for one..
Oh and don't forget to use SMP Folding for stability testing..

I have seen many other examples of GO Q6600 CPU Overclocks in which people are easily hitting least 3.2 Ghz IF NOT much more on lower voltages than yours..

And you really shouldn't go too much if at all past 1.35 Volts as thats the max voltage intel suggests. I mean, unless of course, life span is not a concern.

run CPU-Z and check for sure... and shouldn't this be in overclocking section..

I have seen many other examples of GO Q6600 CPU Overclocks in which people are easily hitting least 3.2 Ghz IF NOT much more on lower voltages than yours..

And you really shouldn't go too much if at all past 1.35 Volts as thats the max voltage intel suggests. I mean, unless of course, life span is not a concern.

But I havent even tried to get 3.0 ghz yet, I said I'm just worried it may not POST if I keep stock voltages and keep going higher and higher. I'm at 2.8 ghz now on stock voltages.

Play around with it, cpu's among other hardware are a lot more durable than people give credit. Spike it to 3.1 Ghz and Give it a go. The worst thing that could possibly happen if you may need to clear the CMOS. BUT thats IT!.

Play around with it alot. Send the vcore to 1.335 Volts and frequency to 3.3 Ghz.

At this point put the ram:FSb to 1 to 1.
RAM Voltage: + .2 Volts
Northbridge (MCH): + .1 Volts
Front side bus: + .1 Volts

Play around with it, cpu's among other hardware are a lot more durable than people give credit. Spike it to 3.1 Ghz and Give it a go. The worst thing that could possibly happen if you may need to clear the CMOS. BUT thats IT!.

Play around with it alot. Send the vcore to 1.335 Volts and frequency to 3.3 Ghz.

At this point put the ram:FSb to 1 to 1.
RAM Voltage: + .2 Volts
Northbridge (MCH): + .1 Volts
Front side bus: + .1 Volts

Well I think my q6600 g0 in general isn't capable of TOO much headroom in terms of overclocking because my idle temps are 40-30 celcius and 50-40 load. It may be the chips or my un-lapped tuniq tower 120 ( I'm never going to lap it, just way too much hassle and I don't have the time to be honest ). I'm a very careful overclocker and well I like to do things pretty slow. It took a while for me to even convince myself to give the Northbridge, FSB, and PCI-E +.1 volts. Do you recommend changing the PCI-express frequency any?

Also the question I asked very often was, is a 1:1 FSB/Ram ratio really that important? To get a 1:1 ratio ill haev to set the FSB to 400 ( which is a 3.6 ghz overclock unless I lower the multiplier which everyone recommends I do not do )

Every setup is different, it is only reccomended for higher clocks because even with DDR2 800 a ratio of 2.5 or whatever your board has slightly over 1 to 1 may not allow a successful POST or Boot. Go ahead and try it completely unlinked. But for increased stability on higher clocks 1 to 1 is preferred. I wouldn't touch the PCIE Frequency, only the voltage. And really, only increase that if your overclocking your video card. It usually has no effect on CPU overclocks..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom