Kernel32.DLL Error

Status
Not open for further replies.

dykzeulb

In Runtime
I just tried to update one of my dads computers at his work with ME........Sometimes just tunring off Active Desktop will turn it off but that is just a temp fix....Now everytime I try to boot uo this messege will pop up about 4-5 times messege goes as follows..

EXPLORER HAS CAUSED AN ERROR IN KERNEL32.DLL EXPLORER WILL NOW CLOSE
IF THIS PROBEM CONTINUES TRY RESTARTING MY COMPUTER

Any Ideas?

Dyk,

If you Updated from another OS,, by running the ME disk, this error may be generated by Internet Explorer 5.5 being on the PC. WinME and IE5.5 dont mix well. Update to IE6.

Another method to easily clean this issue would be to rerun the WinME disk.

Other issues that cause Kernel32 errors are:

Damaged swap file
File allocation damage
Damaged password list
Damaged or incorrect version of the KERNEL32.DLL file
Damaged registry
Hardware, hot CPU, over clocking, broken power supply, RF noise, ground bounce, or bad hard disk controller
BIOS settings for Wait states, RAM timing, or other BIOS settings
Third-party software that is damaged or incorrectly installed
.DLL files that are saved to the desktop
Non-existent or broken Temp folder
A control panel (.CPL) file is damaged
Incorrect or damaged hardware driver
Incorrectly installed printer drivers or HP Jetadmin drivers
Damaged Java Machine
Damaged .LOG files
Damaged entries in the History folder
Incompatible or damaged dynamic link library files
Viruses
Damaged or incorrect MSINFO32.EXE file
Low disk space
Other problems that depend on the Kernel file

I would try the update, and if that fails rerun the setup of ME..

cheers

Hmmmmm.... Well I am not sure if I can update my I-Net Explorer seeing how I dont have it connected to the internet

First,, what was the OS on the system PRIOR to the ME install?

Second, was there ever a history of this issue on the computer?

Third, You can choose to re-run the setup of Me,, and keep your fingers crossed, or you can get a friend to burn a copy of IE 6 onto a disk for you..

good luck,,

cheers,

The op system b4 was 98 SE, Wouldnt jsut running setup of Me again just double and tae up more space on my cpu?

No,,

if you rerun the ME setup ,, choose to customize it and go through options,,

If you install to the original folder ( ie C:\Windows) It will overwrite in the same folder and correct any issues,,

same space usage,,

cheers,

I would always suggest that you perform a CLEAN install of ME,, due to the issues of the OS. Updating from one OS to another,, by overwriting, sometimes brings up issues of legacy installs as you seem to be experiencing,,

cheers

what happens in safe mode? if you run fine in safe mode, check the startup selection, and probably need a few drivers reinstalled. More than likely you may have some TSR programs trying to but into reserved memory space (taken by the kernel32.dll). Do you have details to check? It'll say something like such and such caused a invalid page fault/general protection fault in module such and such.... that would kind of point out what it is. but going to safe mode and no errors like that would point to a startup or driver issue, hopefully :) To let you know, kernel32.dll handles memory allocation and i/o functions, so its just reporting that SOMETHING was illegaly accessing memory... kernel32 is not at fault, its just reporting is all. So, get the details and we can go from there. OR, just get XP ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom