Help Switching 7900GTX and 8800GTX

Status
Not open for further replies.

NOGA

Daemon Poster
Heres the background.

I have two PC's one for work and one for games and messing around.

I want to switch the graphics cards between them but I'm not sure how to do it correctly or if I have enough power etc.

I tried once before but it didn't work so now I'm asking for some help.

Questions

They have the same drivers do I need to uninstall and reinstall or just switch?

Last time I tried to switch the 8800GTX to my gamer PC it would boot but I never saw anything on my screen. Is there something I forgot or did I do something weird because I think my PSU has enough power. (I did use two PCI power connections.)

What's the easiest way to find the problem?

Should I try switching PSU's between PCs? (I hope that's not in the easiest way because I have extensive wire management)

Specs for both PCs

Work PC
  • CPU - Intel Core 2 Quad @ 2.40 GHz
  • RAM - 4gig CRUCIAL
  • MoBo - GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3R
  • GFX - 8800GTX 768mb
  • PSU - CORSAIR CMPSU-620HX link

Game PC
  • CPU – AMD AM2 64 X2 4600+
  • RAM - 2gig Muskin
  • MoBo - ASUS M2N32-SLI link
  • GFX - 7900GTX 512mb
  • PSU - ENERMAX Liberty ELT620AWT ATX12V link

Original Thread that brought up this topic. Don't need to read just for reference.
http://www.techist.com/forums/f76/upgrade-new-highend-games-158551/

You should be able to swap graphics cards with no issues perhaps drive conflict prevented you last time uninstall the display drivers of the 7 series and update with the latest for the 8 series from nvidia before you swap the cards and vice versa for the other pc

I did uninstall the drivers for both PC's last time. I was just asking about this time.

As long as they are both pci-e (which they are) and you uninstall the drivers from both then you should be able to stick the 8800gtx in your play rig, install the 8 series drivers and game on.

ur work comp is the more gaming com. if u ask me. u should just switch the names of ur coms. so work=games and games=work

haha yea just switch the names, but seriously apart from the 4gb Ram (Blehk 64 bit OS) although it is crucial :D, I would say the work computer looks like your ideal gaming computer what kind of work do you do?

I film and edit videos for bat-mitvaz, wedding and events. Its just me; I'm a high school student but my work brings in the big dollars to support my gaming and video hobbies not to mention my car stuff.

The GFX was mostly for 3D apps but I never do enough work with them so I decided to switch. I know I should have went with a quadro but its a long story

The 4 gigs of RAM is so I don't have to restart my PC before I render just trick it to switching to the unused ram and accessing the render cache.

The proc is for speed rendering. Each core renders a frame so scrubbing through after effects is faster.

Ill try switching them again tonight when my uncle is in. He knows loads about computers and played with one of the first internet connections so he might know a thing or two.

Still no signal from the card. I tried two different monitors, took ram sticks out and exchanged and switched out hard drives power cords. I don't understand why this isn't working. Does anyone know any BIOS settings or other things I could try? maybe to see if the mobo needs to be changed or something?

Please help this is very discouraging. :(

Ok I did some research and I saw that using a VGA works some times. I tried a different monitor with a VGA connection and it Worked. Problem is my usual monitor is only a DVI connection and I don't want to run on the low res of VGA.

Anyone have some suggestions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom