No video in XP Pro but works Vista???

Status
Not open for further replies.

mnelson07

In Runtime
I'm not quite sure what happened. I have my computer set up with my 750GB partitioned for XP and Vista. Last night I switched to my Vista partition to install Windows updates and some DX10 games for when my 8800GT arrives. I leave the WoW downloader running overnight cause that's 7GB to download on University cable and I woke up to see my computer off. Remember, this is all in Vista. I push the power and it booted up in a second. Apparently it went to sleep because my power settings were on balance in Vista which is retarded for a desktop.

Anyhow, I rebooted so I could get into XP. Everything goes fine, I get all the way to the login screen. I login and about 5-10 seconds after I do so, the monitors just turn off. So, I manually reboot it and try again. Something a little different happens, after I login semi-diagonal white squiggly lines are all over both screen. I'm pretty sure that means hardware failure, and since the computer didn't crash and it is not giving me video signal, it makes me think it's the video card. I reboot for a 3rd time for good measure and same thing happens.

Well guess what. I'm on my Vista partition right now. Why would a hardware issue not affect what OS you're on? So now I'm believing it could be an XP problem. Which is just... weird to me, I don't see how that could be dependent on the OS. Regardless, any ideas?

So I thought of updating my video drivers but since I can't boot normally (cause the screen f's up), I thought I'd do safe mode. Well, when I push F8 it assumes I'm want the Advanced Options for Vista and I can't tell it otherwise. AHH!

:(

Well it must have been some XP error. After running a chkdsk /r, (and some time in-between cooling down playing GH3 and Madden 08), I popped my XP Pro disc in, booted from from disc and repaired the partition. Booted up fine. I'm glad it's fixed, but uneasy not knowing what I did to make this happen.

could have just been a simple refresh setting gone awry...60hz, 70, 72, 75, etc

aside from that, the power thing for a desktop isn't all that retarded. I'm glad for it and wish it better integrated in all things.

Some people like leaving a computer on all night running at full bore of 500 watt goodness...I much prefer to have it sleep once it's done downloading something or after running a scan or defrag of some sort.

I guess it's feasible for less power consumption. I mean it did sleep after the download were complete so that was convenient. I guess I'm just used to locking my PC and walking away rather than banking on it going to sleep.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom