ATI: 2900 pro 1GB DDR4 (vs)**new 3870?

Status
Not open for further replies.
i have had both a hd2900 pro flashed to XT AND an 8800gt and there is very...i mean like VERY little difference in performance. but big difference in power consumption and NOISE, lol.
so, if the 3870 is almost as fast as an XT, it would be the better price/performance option. it is supposed to be quiet, and as invisible says...it isnt nearly the power hog of a 2900.
plus, the gouging going on with the 8800gt is kind of sickening....even though i got it stuck to me REAL good for mine, heh.

No it's not. The 3870 is the one that is almost as fast as a 2900XT.

Anyway, to answer the OPs question...the 3870 is a much better buy....it overclocks very well, is very efficient (power wise), and don't be fooled by the 256bit memory interface...it comes with GDDR4 which can be clocked very high and can still do over 80gbps

Also if you put 2 of these in crossfire they are VERY fast.

The 3850 is the revised 2900 while the 3870 is the same thing with higher clocks.

The 3850 is the revised 2900 while the 3870 is the same thing with higher clocks.

Not sure what you are talking about....they are both "revised 2900s"....and if anything is close in performance to the previous 2900 it's the the 3870, not the 3850. ..and the 3870 isn't the same thing... it has much higher clocks, and twice the memory, and GDDR4 vs GDDR3.....

Get the 3870. I'm not going to even read the crap in this thread.

The 3870 is TONS cheaper, cooler, and less power consuming. It performs on par with the 2900 PRO/XT.

I'm gonna go with the 3870's, and hopefully build my new rig by the end of the year.
the 3780 is better and you can put 4 in crossfire with the new amd boards.
Were can i find the quad gpu supporting boards? I've been looking but can't find any! :tounge:

Thnx

u know u can use the AM2+ Quad-Cores on a AM2 board.. but you can't have 4 ATi cards in there... plus less overclocking ability...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom