Upgrading RAM in laptop, NEED ADVICE.

Status
Not open for further replies.

c_los

Solid State Member
Hi everyone, quick question.

I checked the Dell (before you yell at me that I can't do anything with a Dell, plz read my post) site for my laptop and of course it says that my computer handles a max of 2gb RAM and has a sucky BIOS I can't really do anything about.

Then I used a bios/mobo checker from esupport.com to identify my chipset and bios model and discovered that I'm using a modified Phoenix-Award BIOS and that my computer supports 4gb RAM.

Now, trusting this info would it be possible to download a full-featured or updated Phoenix-Award BIOS and also install 4gb of RAM? (Under x64 OS of course)

I'm new to some hardware aspects of computing.
Thank you for your time.

No. You have to stick with the Dell BIOS. You can't reflash. The max is 2gb ram. Also, even if its possible. The processor isnt 64-bit compatible.

Ok man, I'm pretty sure Core 2 Duo's are 64bit. Also, the original motherboard company is telling me that my comp can support 4gb - Why then?

And yes I can reflash, there are BIOS update from Dell itself.
Not to mention the only reason dell bios is said to be "unupdatable" is because dell won't release the binaries necessary for a custom bios. However, knowing the original manufacturer of the motherboard (before dell got their hands on it) lets me find a bios for said motherboard. I'm looking to verify this information.

Seriously, don't just give me the usual dell-suxx0rz crap. I need some answers.

I have to ask, why isn't 2GB enough?

I have 512mb on my desktop and it works pretty well. On top of that 2gb is pretty much the standard for PCs as far as I can tell. Most people on here say that 2GB is enough.

How fast is the ram? Maybe you could get faster ram?

If you computer is going slow then make sure you're free of trojans and spyware.

Edit: If the motherboard company is saying it can handle 4gb AFTER you told them its a dell PC then it probably can handle 4gb.

Thanks, that's a good idea. I might try buying faster RAM. The only worry is that my computer might underclock it. : (

I'm just very enthusiastic about modifying and upgrading computers, I usually don't have the money to buy hard-core systems so I just try to figure out the cheapest/best ways to improve performance.

Also, the company identified my board and Bios as Dell-made and at the same time told me it supports 4gb. I'll probably just buy some RAM that comes with a return guarantee and try it out. : P

BIOS Type: Phoenix
BIOS Date: June 27th 2007
BIOS ID: Phoenix ROM BIOS PLUS Version 1.10 A09
BIOS OEM: A09
Chipset: Intel 27A0 rev 3
Manufacturer: Dell Inc.
Motherboard: MP061
Maximum Memory: 4096MB
Installed Memory: 2048MB
Memory Config: Slot1:1024 Slot2:1024

Inspiron E1705 (/9400)

I have the exact notebook. You should just get 2gb of ddr2-667. Anything more is useless considering it's only a core duo and not a core 2 duo.

Thanks for the advice, ill look that RAM up.

But.... I have a Core 2 Duo. You know these laptops can have custom parts when ordered from the dell site, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom