Using XP Twice

Status
Not open for further replies.
But the thing is this. You said you are selling "X" right. So how can you justify telling whoever buys it from you not to go to Windows Update and get updates? Because the minute they do the system will be logged as pirated.

So in reality you would be selling pirated software to someone. How do you explain that? Jsut buy a XP OEM CD from NewEgg and get on with it. There is no way you can accomplish what you want with selling one of the PC's off. At some point in time the person who buys the PC will want to get updates for it. Which they wont. Then they wont be happy with you at all and possibly ask for a refund.

Oh no, i wouldnt sell it like that. Next month im buying Vista and installing that to my new computer. Old computer X will have its fully legal XP in working order and then ill sell it.

Just till then i have no OS for my new PC so I needed temporary dual XP method to work.

I appreciate the concern. Thanks.

Well just wait till next month. Why take the chance of making the XP illegal? Why have these people who you will sell it to think that something shady is going on because they will have to call M$ everytime they want to re-install? If you are in such a rush just do what every person does. Pirate Vista till you buy it. :D

Yeah...the whole don't update thing is OK if you own both PC's, but selling one is selling pirated software. I wouldn't take the chance, just use Linux on the PC until you get Vista (if you only need it for web browsing and e-mail and such).

Thing is that my new PC is for gaming. I wanted XP for a bit because of the better performance it is has over Vista.

So I will own both PCs, X and Z, and both will have the same XP. I wont use X, but Z will eventually go to Vista. When it does I will sell X with its XP (will i have to phone up a second time to get XP working fully back on X again?) it will be fine, wont it?

I suppose I could put Linux on to X and sell it like that. I probably wont get as much though. I was going to put it on ebay with starting bid of £100. My USP being that its capable of 2006 gaming (with a Geforce 6800 and 1GB RAM, P4 2.66Ghz), wont work if its Linux and not XP.

You can sell it with no OS...if you don't include a real COA with the PC when you sell it, the OS means nothing, even if it does have XP installed. If you include the certificate (the actual sticker or piece of paper that has the code), then it's good and legal, otherwise, it could be considered pirated software anyways, as reinstalling would be out of the question.

You can't use windows XP coa product keys on two pc's at the same time, you can transfer the key by installing windows xp on the new system once it's finished in use on the other, it will sometimes simply reactivate online or will need phone activation where you have 7 white boxes on screen to enter a confirmation code from Microsoft, it's just case of saying "NO" when the MS agent asks how many pc's the key is installed on, 8 out of 10 times it goes all well, always has for me. Although you may be able to get away with using it on 2 pc's as what some of the other users posts have stated just turn off automatic updates, reduce ways of MS flagging the key in use twice.

I haven't read the other posts, but here is the deal. that dell key on your computer is more than likely not activated.

gateway, hp and dell disc have a feature that check that machine to see if it came from them. if it does, it will give it a random serial, not the serial on the side and you don't need to activate that machine.

usually when you use the key on a store bought computer on another computer, the activation will almost always go through.

Yes but as i explained above when 1 of those machines goes for updaes and tries to pass validation only 1 active hardware profile is on file and will be updated. The rest will fail this hardware profile validation and become inactive. Which will force you to activate them again and turn the rest inactive.

M$ keeps a record of the hardware profile. The mobo and CPU are the 2 things they keep track of. That is why you have to call for validation after a period of time. But at the same time by you activating 1 machine you deactive the rest. Which defeats the purpose. Why they didnt question how you could have 4 different mobo and cpu combos we will never know. Guess the people in India were not trained to ask these types of questions.

Before anyone gets all upset over that India comment, i have good reason for it. I called to activate my serial recently and guess what. The call went to India. So it is fact about where it goes. Not a shot at any person. :p

yeah i got redirected to india

but none of the computers i've installed my XP disc have been shut down yet. they all install updates just fine.

I haven't read the other posts, but here is the deal. that dell key on your computer is more than likely not activated.

gateway, hp and dell disc have a feature that check that machine to see if it came from them. if it does, it will give it a random serial, not the serial on the side and you don't need to activate that machine.

usually when you use the key on a store bought computer on another computer, the activation will almost always go through.

If thats the case then brilliant :)
Thanks all. I can now only wait for my paycheck, order my build and hope that this will work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom