Divx Quality Home Movies? How are they done?

Status
Not open for further replies.

akasixcon

This is sparta!
I have over 350gb of sports videos (I video tape high school sports events) on my 500gb external hard drive. On the beginning, I stored the videos on DVDs which was about 4.5gb a pop. I noticed that my external hard drive is slowly running out of space and this season will surely do just that.

I record on a MiniDV tape. I capture it in my computer using Premiere Pro and I guess its in the uncompressed AVI format. I'm planning on compressing the videos into DIVX format, as I noticed that a whole 2 hour movie could be compressed into just 700mb compared to having it at 20gb for a 2 hour uncompressed movie.

I tried compressing my .avi files using Super (if anyone knows a better software in terms of speed and performance let me know) at same resolution, mp3 audio and 1700kbps and noticed a bad quality in the movie. What would be a good bitrate in kbps for a 720x480 video? One of my friends came over to my house one day and brought me a movie on a CD. I said "no way you can fit a movie in a cd". But he did. A whole 2 hour movie, on just a cd using divx compression. How is this done?

Otherwise, what are some storage tips? Am I making the right decision?

There are plenty of apps out there that can compress it to .avi files. The only issue with converting to Divx is that to play them on a DVD player in your home you need a Divx compatible DVD player. while that may not be a problem for you if you lend out these DVD's to anyone they might not have Divx and then cant play them.

You can use Nero Vision to encode them to DVD. you can use Convertxtodvd you can use plenty of apps for this.

AutoGK (Auto Guardian Knot)
DVDFab
AnyDVD
VirtualDub

Those are jsut some of the apps i use for things like this. there are plenty more out there as well. As far as being the right decision. Only you can make that call. We can not tell you what you should do with your space.

I'd also like to add that Adobe Premiere only accept certain types of uncompressed files. I used to know what it was, something like jpeg compression, but if anyone here knows it then let me know. This means that Adobe Premiere wont be able to import a divx file.

What is the right way one should store their files in what medium?

Again as i have stated WE CAN NOT TELL YOU HOW YOU SHOULD STORE YOUR MEDIA. That is your choice. We each do it differently. Some decide to have DVD's around. Others have CD's. While others have a bunch of Hard Drives with alot of space and keep everything on there. There is NO WRONG WAY. It is all personal preference.

As for me i do it everyway. I have some stuff on CD's. Other stuff on DVD's. While i also ahve a TB worth of storage on my PC and keep a good amount of stuff on there.

As for the file types supported by Premier. Adobe site could provide that info.

http://kb.adobe.com/selfservice/viewContent.do?externalId=330733&sliceId=1

Thanks for your useful posts makaveli! I really appreciate it. You answer 90% of my overall posts in this forum.

What compression (or whatever term) is needed for an avi movie to be imported in Premiere Pro? I mean that only certain .avi files can be imported (divx cannot). I need like a guide for the compression format instructions in Super so that it will be Premiere Pro ready.

Well according to the Adobe site .avi files are premier ready. I just think it is cause the movies you have are not compressed in any way is what is hampering you.

As for Super i dont know. I have never used it nor tried it. I have several other apps that i have pointed out to you that i already use. there are plenty more out there. Those are just the easiest ones to acquire.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom