Overheating

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forevermore

Solid State Member
Alright, past couple of weeks my PC has started to over heat, and it's now become more common. Right now my CPU is running at 91C. I'm assuming thats not good. I have the case popped open on one side, and have 2 fans blowing on it. I've already cleaned the fans and such.

I'm only running Firefox, Msn, and iTunes, and my CPU is still running hot. Any tips?

I currently have a P4 running at 3.0ghz. Not over clocked or anything. Is it time for a new processor?

Edit: After closing all applications and most processes, it still ran between 88-90C.

Is this the world of vagueness or something??

Ambient temparture?
Case temparture?
Heatsink?
Thermal Paste?
Secured properly?
Other components?
Power supply?
Amount of Fans?

Is this the world of vagueness or something??

Ambient temparture?
Case temparture?
Heatsink?
Thermal Paste?
Secured properly?
Other components?
Power supply?
Amount of Fans?

Rhetorical question?

Room temp is around 15-20C.
Thermal Paste, I have no idea. Got the computer what, 3 years ago?
Yes everything is secured properly.
I got a new power supply a couple months ago when I got a new video card. I think 550W.

Newly applied thermal paste and a new Heatsink will greatly reduce temparture...
Refer to "Battle of the thermal Pastes" Thread for thermal paste reccomendations..

It has come to my attention that you might have a heat or voltage issue with your computer. We can not assume that it is one of these so we will go ahead and check. I would like you to download and install the program Speedfan. When you are done installing Speedfan open and look for 3 columns. One should have temperatures, the other should have voltages, and the last one should contain your fan speeds. When you have found this information please post to me in a column such as this: (Example)

Temperatures

Temp1: 30 C
Temp2: 60 C
HD0: 44 C

Voltages (only for desktops)

5.5V: 5.5
3.33V: 3.24

Fan Speeds

Speed1: 2480 RPM

(Remember this is just an example, please post your exact information)

If you are running on a Dell Laptop please follow these steps then post your temperatures, voltages, and fan speeds:

• Open Speedfan
  • Click Configure on the Main Screen
  • Go to the Options Tab
  • Check the: "Enable DELL Support (use this function only on DELL notebooks)" check box
  • Click Ok then Close Speedfan
  • Start Speedfan once again

Then post your temperatures, voltages, and fan speeds.

Can you also please tell me what graphics card you bought?
Have you ever cleaned your system?

@Ste: This could be a power supply, issue and we could direct him to clean the system. There was more we could have done besides for applying new thermal grease :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom