Using XP Twice

Status
Not open for further replies.

westy159

In Runtime
I have a Dell XP Home OEM on computer X. This is my old PC that im selling.
And a normal XP Home disc on computer Y. This is my brothers PC.
Im building a new computer, computer Z.

Im selling X with the Dell XP OEM installed but I need a OS for my new build, Z.

OEMs are tied to their original PCs. So if I install onto Z the XP disc from Y but use the X activation code (by phone) will i have XP on all three computers working?

Or will the XP on X / Z deactivate as its using the same code?
I need to do this till Christmas when I can get Vista for Z.

One of hte 2 PC using your Dell code wont work online.

No. The code will have already been activated. So by calling M$ they will deactivate the first PC using the code. Then activate the 2nd one. When you try to get updates for the first PC it will show that the serial is already in use on a different hardware profile and show up as pirated software.

Then you call to activate that one and the other PC then become the pirated machine. It is a vicious circle that way. Only way this would work, albeit illegally, is to have 1 of the machines stay offline at all times. As stated this tactic is illegal in every way.

Best bet to buy a OEM of XP from NewEgg or someplace like that.

There are ways to get around XP authentication, but A: they are illegal and B: you can't get updates on them (as connecting to Microsoft will disable the authentication). Best way is to get a new key from Microsoft or just use Ubuntu.

i've used my Dell XP disc on about 4 computers now..but when i put it on my new computer, the activation key had been used to many times. so i just called and got a new one. i told them that i had upgraded my dell to different parts and thats why it asked for my key so many times.

Yes but as i explained above when 1 of those machines goes for updaes and tries to pass validation only 1 active hardware profile is on file and will be updated. The rest will fail this hardware profile validation and become inactive. Which will force you to activate them again and turn the rest inactive.

M$ keeps a record of the hardware profile. The mobo and CPU are the 2 things they keep track of. That is why you have to call for validation after a period of time. But at the same time by you activating 1 machine you deactive the rest. Which defeats the purpose. Why they didnt question how you could have 4 different mobo and cpu combos we will never know. Guess the people in India were not trained to ask these types of questions.

Before anyone gets all upset over that India comment, i have good reason for it. I called to activate my serial recently and guess what. The call went to India. So it is fact about where it goes. Not a shot at any person. :p

That's why if you're using one XP install/CD Key on more than one PC...be sure to disable updates on the ones that aren't supposed to have XP on it :) Otherwise they'll all die. I just turn automatic updates off anyways because it lags down my PC.

Ok so with automatic updates off as they are with computer X i could install XP with X's key to Z, activate Z and use XP on both?

Just to never update X for the time being. Or will it be deactivated as soon as i connect to the internet?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom