Installation of WinXP problem cause of HDD

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeXx15

Baseband Member
Hello everyone, first of my problem. Today i decided to completly install a fresh new copy of windows XP on my computer so i reboot put in the cd press F12 to go into boot screen choose my dvd rom setup starts saying at the bottom this and that is loading...blah blah blah and then rite before the Menu appears of selecting wat i wana do my monitor goes black and then into the blue screen saying that my harddrive has a problem please check for viruses and run the f/chdsk thing i dont have any viruses on my computer i scanned it very resently like 2 days ago and the f/chdsk is not gonna help i am sure i have had this problem before i long time ago but i decided to leave it but now i really need to reinstall windows so yea...well here are my pc specs:

Windows XP Pro SP2
Pentium 4 3.00 GHZz
2 GB Ram
GeForce 7900GTX OC
and one 160 GB WD Harddrive Caviar...

thanks guys :):happy:

If the setup detected errors on the hard drive, then either you need to run chkdsk and let it fix them or consider a new hard drive.

First, if you want help, please word your questions so we can understand the problem. Punctuation is important, as that jumble of words mess was almost unreadable. Remember to put commas (,) between long strings of actions so I can tell what happens after what.

If I understood you right, you put in your CD, booted into it, and it began loading the setup files (at the blue console screen). Then just as it was about to go into the GUI and open the menu to begin installation, it went out on you and showed an error?

I would fix this by getting a DOS or Windows boot floppy (or the utilities may be on your Windows XP CD, assuming you're not using a recovery CD provided by the PC manufacturer). Go into the console and run chkdsk. Let it scan your computer, and it might find that your hard drive has bad sectors.

If you do have viruses, try deleting your partition and reformatting your drive. This will erase all of your data, but it will also erase all viruses. Be sure to back up if you haven't done so already.

Hi, sorry about that, i was sorta in a rush. Well anyways yes you got me right thats what happens. I tried to run chkdsk by going into the cmd console and typing in chkdsk and so i scheduled it to next start up so then it just scans it and reboots ..doesn't say if its bad or not. So i downloaded this software called Hard Drive Inspector and it says that my HDD is perfectly healthy...So yes I don't know what to do now. How do I go into DOS in the boot screen? Maybe it will fix my harddrive if I scan it there...

If i have no other choice i will reformat my HD what is the best way to do that? So that it cleans all the errors and deletes everything?

Either download powermax or killdisk, run one or both on the PC. Then pop in the XP disk and do the install using the format option in the setup. Not the quick format either.

Or if you have a windows 98 boot disk you can boot off of that. And at the A: type fidisk then you will see a list 1 through 4.choose the option 4 to view all partitions on your computer then go to option 3 to delete all partitions, Then alect 1 to make new active partition and set it as active. It will prompt you to do this. Its quite easy.

I personally use Linux CD's to format my hard drive using GParted, but there's other ways too. I have used Windows 98 floppy disks (look for Windows 98 Bootdisk) that have fdisk (Microsoft's early HD-Formatting utility) installed on them. I also use GParted or QTParted on Ubuntu or other Linux LiveCD's, as it can format, resize, move, and create FAT32/FAT/NTFS/Ext2/Ext3/etc partitions all in one nice GUI interface app.

i downloaded The Gparted Linux live cd and i am gonna use it to format my hd, is that the only thing i have to do just format?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom