WinXP Boot Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Icedragon

In Runtime
When I turn on my computer and boot up I get the error "NTLDR is Missing". So I went to another computer and got that file and put it on floppy, now I have another problem. I get an invalid Boot File, how do I fix this?

Any chance you've left the floppy disk in the drive?

(I know I hate to ask the stupid questions, but I can't even count the number of times this one has confused me before I figured it out...)

Well if i take the floppy out, It will load up windows xp then say "setup is being restarted" and then my computer reboots.

NTLDR is the main bootup file for Windows XP, like IO.SYS was to MS-DOS. Just do a re-install of XP and it should run fine.

I just had this issue a few weeks ago, something got corrupted. I ended up doing a complete low level format of the drive (20 hours! - 250gig) and then reinstalled windows. I had to reformat because setup would start and then reboot and BOOM! BSOD! The setup would never complete and I could not boot at all (safe or normal mode). I hope this doesn't happen to you.

hereticiv said:
I just had this issue a few weeks ago, something got corrupted. I ended up doing a complete low level format of the drive (20 hours! - 250gig) and then reinstalled windows. I had to reformat because setup would start and then reboot and BOOM! BSOD! The setup would never complete and I could not boot at all (safe or normal mode). I hope this doesn't happen to you.

Why did you low-level format your hard drive? This should only be done unless you know exactly what you are doing. Congrats, man, you may have messed up your hard drive.

That's is not true at all, if I may say so myself - low level formatting doesn't ruin your hard drive, it is basically reorders the magnetic tracks on the drive - nothing more, nothing less.

Although this should mean, that the drive is formatted, a friend of mine managed to load win98 after such an exercise. Fancy that, huh?

It may not ruin your hard drive, but low level formatting some of these larger hdds without the proper tools can dramatically decrease the efficiency of them.

OMG I did a fresh install of WinXP and it froze on me multiple times, then I actually got half way through and I got a friggin memory dump:( Does that mean i need new RAM? Sometimes I get a huge long message that says "Fatal Error":mad: God ive been working on this since start of June and Im getting really pissed:mad: I need help dearly!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom